UKC

Best sim card for kalymnos(working remotely)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dsauerbrun 30 May 2018

Hi All,

I'm coming from the states to go climb in kalymnos and need some advice on what sim card to get. I'll be working remotely so I need pretty decent internet which, from what I understand, I'll only be able to get through tethering my phone which should get LTE out there

I've heard that all of the cell providers from greece are pretty terrible. I currently have a friend who is visiting london and could pick me up a sim card. I really only care about data and would need around 20gb for a month.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dan

Carless 30 May 2018
In reply to dsauerbrun:

Sorry, no recommendations as I just use my normal (Belgian) sim with no problems

However, one thing to be aware of is that at certain areas on the island (eg. Secret Garden), your phone might pick up a Turkish instead of a Greek network. Could lead to a big difference in costs if you're not careful

Jonathan Emett 31 May 2018
In reply to dsauerbrun:

I work remotely in Europe year round (IT). I spent a few weeks in kalymnos last year ( before Europe--wide free roaming came in), I found a company that shipped a sim to me in kalymnos. I've been racking my brain for the name, but it won't come, sorry. They were based in Cyprus.

Since free roaming I've been using a mix of UK sims and Spanish Sims in france, Spain Sardinia and greece (lionidio) my experience is that foreign Sims don't get the same coverage as native ones do (Spanish Voda Sim gets 4g everywhere, UK voda/3 get hspa mostly. They are tied to specific roaming networks these days as well, so you have to get lucky with the sim you pick)

If you can get a UK sim you will probably get 3g/hspa in kalymnos (massouri, anyway), and as long as you aren't video conferencing that will probably be ok. Don't bother with WiFi, its mostly rubbish.

Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...