UKC

Can suncream damage ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kishanvekaria 30 May 2018

Can suncream damage ropes?

Looking to see if anyone has any evidence regarding whether suncream can damage ropes to the extend to retire them. Can only find anecdotal evidence online. 

Oceanrower 30 May 2018
In reply to kishanvekaria:

No

Paz 31 May 2018

I'll give you a good price for them.

Even if suncream affected ropes in the slightest, to get enough of it on to the rope to affect its strength, your hands will be so greasy you're not going to be able to climb, but more importantly with all that grease on your hands, you're seriously not going to be able to hold a fall belaying (without a gri-gri etc., and even then I'm not sure, and ugh)

Post edited at 00:40
OP kishanvekaria 31 May 2018

Someone I know had an entire bottle leak in their bag over their gear. So the amount is not just the tiny amount you put on your hands. Should have clarified that

alx 31 May 2018

Was it Piz Buin bronzing oil or Ambru   Solaire?

Andy Nisbet 31 May 2018

The answer is still no damage

danm 31 May 2018

You can use this if you're concerned: https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/chemical-resistance

Check off the ingredients of the sunscreen against nylon. I suspect it'll be fine, especially if you give the rope a good clean before next using it.

TobyA 31 May 2018
In reply to Paz:

I saw the original post of Facebook. There the universal reaction was "you're going to die!!!!!" Amusingly I suggested ask on UKC and said I bet they'd get the opposite reaction. Nice to see you lot are not letting me down!

Paz 31 May 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers.  For the record car battery acid is the main nasty thing to beware of getting anywhere near your ropes.  This why I get grumpy with people who drop my ropes in the road or on a car park floor.

[edit] Probably Black Diamond QC not the BMC

I can't remember exactly or find the link, and I doubt if rope technology has changed significantly since then despite the improvements and lighter weight options (so read the rope manual for your own rope), but 15 years or so ago now BD did a lot of other destructive rope strength tests, first exposing the ropes to water, sea water, and most memorably immersing a rope in urine (ew!).  This caused a 30% drop in the total number of falls held.  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:e1iszKfpTVMJ:rockandic... 

I'm not sure how technology has changed but from a quick look the BMC Technical people're now also saying beware of certain house hold cleaning products.

Post edited at 13:36
 Neil Williams 31 May 2018
In reply to Paz:

That and DEET, which dissolves nylon.

jkarran 31 May 2018

It would at 10,000psi

A slick of it in your rucksack isn't likely to do any harm, I'd wash it off and enjoy the new smell.

jk

deepsoup 31 May 2018

> Can suncream damage ropes?

UV can damage ropes, eventually.  So instead of washing it off perhaps you ought to rub it in. 

Post edited at 17:28
 deepsoup 31 May 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

> That and DEET, which dissolves nylon.

Yes.  DEET destroys all plastics, which is why you can only buy it in glass bottles.

Neil Williams 31 May 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

Must be some it doesn't, as I've just bought a plastic spray bottle of 50% DEET repellent.  No, not to use when climbing

Mr Fuller 31 May 2018

In testing I've done suncream makes no measurable difference to the strength of climbing slings (I've not tested it on ropes). However, DEET doesn't either. That was based on normal pull tests and on drop tests. The DEET was concentrated and sprayed all over the slings and left to soak overnight so a pretty harsh test. However, despite the testing indicating that DEET shouldn't damage slings (and potentially therefore ropes too), like you I'd still be averse to spraying DEET all over my climbing gear, especially when you see what it does to some clothing and plastics.

Carless 31 May 2018

Am I remembering this badly... or was there an article some years ago pointing out that uric acid is bad for your rope?

so don't piss on your rope and don't use it to wipe sweat off

deepsoup 31 May 2018

> Must be some it doesn't

There are, nylon is one of them.   I was taking the piss (sorry).

Edit to add:  It will eat the membrane out of your expensive goretex jacket if you're not careful though!

Post edited at 17:45
 danm 31 May 2018
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Can you provide a link to your test data? Thanks.

Dave B 31 May 2018
In reply to Carless:

Adblue? 

Is urea neutral and is there a way Adblue can change into something more damaging? 

Post edited at 22:33
 FactorXXX 31 May 2018

> That and DEET, which dissolves nylon.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but DEET doesn't have any negative impact on nylon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...