UKC

Brimham Rocks - deliberate damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Abu777 06 Jun 2018

Anyone know any more detail about where this damage has been done? (Brimham Rocks) Has it affected any routes?

https://www.strayfm.com/news/local-news/2599406/pictures-youths-cause-irrep...

Michael Gordon 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Abu777:

Senseless. 

Urban5teve 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Abu777:

Totally mindless. 

I’m not condoning their actions in anyway but I wonder if anything can be learnt from the exposure of the rock centre. Fossils or such. 

Once it’s safe it may be worth further investigation. 

Sean_J 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Urban5teve:

I doubt that the centre of this one particular rock is any different to the tens of thousands of other rocks of various sizes dotted around the place.

SuperLee1985 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Abu777:

That's a shocking amount of damage! I don't know how big the rock they pushed off was but i'm surprised that a rock 'small' enough for a bunch of youths to have rolled it off a cliff would have been big enough to do that much damage. Is the rock just brittle in nature? Or was it just a case of it happening to hit a natural weakness/fault line.

Jim C 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Abu777:

irreparable     

summo 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Abu777:

Top of cracked buttress? 

Car jack and fence posts? Youths are as enterprising as they are mischievous. 

Michael Gordon 07 Jun 2018
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Some quite large rocks are only seated at the base across a small area, and therefore aren't that difficult to rock and then move, particularly if there are a bunch of other yobs to help.  

In reply to Abu777:

We looked into this today and Paul Clarke kindly went up to inspect the damage. No routes affected, fortunately.

Post edited at 18:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...