UKC

Lofoten late September?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HeatherF 12 Jun 2018

Hi,

A friend and I were thinking of a late September trip to Lofoten this year. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on if this would be a terrible idea weather wise!?

I do realise that in  Norway you are always taking a chance it might rain all week!

Thanks

d_b 12 Jun 2018
In reply to HeatherF:

I have had decent weather on a trip that ended in mid September.  The days are shortening and it is cooling down at quite a rate at that time of year though.

TobyA 12 Jun 2018
In reply to HeatherF:

Look up the historical data for say Henningsvaer on yr.no - I'm sure they have excellent info there. I've been in the Norwegian arctic in mid to late August a few times and have had wonderful weather BUT a month later it will have cooled down more and the days are a bit shorter. Further south and inland in Lapland that is considered one of the most beautiful times of the year - much of the birch will be golden and colours in the Nordic autumn are wonderful - it's one of the more profound experiences of my life at least. But of course Lofoten is by the sea, so just like Scotland while a week of golden, midge free perfection is possible with blue skies and crisp temps, I'm sure a week of low cloud, SWerlies and constant rain is also!

Much of the climbing on Lofoten is not high above sea level so I don't think you'd need to worry about first snows, although I'm sure that's common inland on the mountains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...