UKC

Cam left at Windgather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrjonathanr 01 Jul 2018

I left a cam at Windgather last night. It walked (vertical placement down between blocks)and was overcammed when I stripped the belay. It was clearly recoverable but would be time consuming. As I had a group of young people to return to their parents I left at 9pm and returned this morning to recover it.

In an attempt to recover it someone had whacked it sideways with a hammer or similar. It was smashed right down into the crack, lobes bent and ruined. Whoever did it hadn’t grasped that bashing the cam could only drive it further into the crack. That they continued till it was embedded in the earth beggars belief. In their greed they struck the rock on both sides of the crack causing obvious damage. The cam is also more difficult to recover now. What a mess. 

I wonder if they’ll go back to remove the litter they’ve created? Or leave it to someone else to tidy up?   

For me, it’s not that bad, I can always buy a new cam. For that person, not behaving like a selfish vandal may not prove so easy. 

Post edited at 00:17
OP mrjonathanr 01 Jul 2018
In reply to mrjonathanr:

Somewhat amused that someone has given a thumbs down to this... Presumably that someone is in favour of mindlessly bashing abandoned gear into difficult to retrieve litter, damaging the rock and creating a general eyesore which is what my post is intended to encourage people NOT to do.

Unless of course it's the original plonker with the hammer.

Monk 01 Jul 2018
In reply to mrjonathanr:

Or someone disliking the fact that gear and placement are damaged, maybe? 

(It wasn't me, by the way )

gravy 02 Jul 2018
In reply to mrjonathanr:

"Somewhat amused that someone has given a thumbs down to this"

Maybe it's your sanctimonious teacher's tone they dislike. You've let yourself down, you've let the crag down and you've let the BMC down etc etc

FreshSlate 02 Jul 2018
In reply to gravy:

A grilling seems warranted here. Why take a hammer to a cam? Bizarre. 

p.s. Any pics? 

Post edited at 09:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...