UKC

Best bouldering gyms near Newquay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cskaandorp 16 Jul 2018

Hi People, 

I am from the Netherlands and will visit Cornwall in a couple of weeks. I am looking for a nice bouldering gym to train hard. A Moonboard and/or a campus board would be fantastic. I browsed the UKC site, but as a foreigner it is kind of hard to asses the best facilities in the area. I am willing to drive for 1.5/2 hours to a good facility if necessary. 

Thanks in advance, 

Casper

ClimbingAlex 16 Jul 2018
In reply to cskaandorp:

Hi Casper, if you are prepared to drive around 1:15 the Hangar in Plymouth is excellent. They have a moonboard/system board, campus board and great bouldering in the centre. 

Unfortunately, there's not much in terms of climbing centres in Cornwall itself. If you can find pads or a rack if trad is your thing, then Cornwall is great!

two_tapirs 16 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimbingAlex:

Assuming you've got access to a car for your visit here, drive down to Godrevy, it's close to St Ives and has some superb bouldering.  A really good variety from smooth sloping problems over rockpools, to some sharp as **** traverses over deeper gullies.  

2 hours either side of low tide is generally the time to go.  There's parking close by as well, and a decent cafe in the area too

Godrevy

cskaandorp 18 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimbingAlex:

This is excellent news, thank you very much for your response! As crazy as it may sounds: bouldering inside works best for me at the moment, but I will certainly bring my pads. Again, thanks for your response. Appreciate it. You saved my vacation 

Post edited at 09:46
Pauluss 18 Jul 2018
In reply to cskaandorp:

There is an ok wall in Newquay Lsr cnt on the edge of town. It has top/lead and small bouldering!

Phil79 18 Jul 2018
In reply to cskaandorp:

As above - the Climbing Hanger is the probably the best bet. https://theclimbinghangar.com/plymouth/

There is also the Barn near Launceston - they have a 45 degree woody/training board, finger boards, but less extensive bouldering than the Hanger. http://www.barnclimbingwall.co.uk/

Post edited at 14:53
cskaandorp 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Pauluss:

Thanks!

cskaandorp 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Phil79:

Thanks for the info!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...