UKC

Various versions of the Paramo Velez Adventure Lt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
duckweed 16 Jul 2018

Hello UKC,

First off, im new here so if ive made any mistakes in formatting or have done anything outside the rules that ive not picked up on, then i apologize!

I was looking to buy a Paramo Velez Adventure Light and noticed a few discrepancies between various different online stores. Not totally sure if there are any actual differences between them, rather than being purely cosmetic so i was hoping to hear from anyone who has actual experience with them.

Maybe this is an over-reaction but its best to make sure

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/paramo-velez-adventure-light-mens-waterproof-ja...

https://www.jackson-sports.com/en/gb/Paramo-Velez-Adventure-Light/m-7254.as...

The two aforementioned links are both "fire red" but have different coloured zips... I have read that it was possible for rain to leak in certain zips (the side ones i believe) so maybe there was an update for laminated/waterproof etc?

There were also different versions of the zip pulls, with some having a fabric tag and others having a stub type in the links below:

fabric pull: https://www.active-traveller.com/gear-reviews/32-clothing/paramo-velez-adve...

fabric pull: http://theactivephotographer.com/2012/08/testreview-paramo-velez-adventure-...

stub: both the first two links

Again, sorry if this seems like an over reaction but just wanted to double check.

Thank you

Post edited at 21:08
 Larefia 19 Jul 2018
In reply to duckweed:

I would look at something else if I was you. Mine has been back to Paramo for repair it is not a very durable jacket at all. Wearing a rucksack will wreck the outer fabric very quickly. Mine has hung in the wardrobe since it came back from repair. It was only used for hillwalking with a rucksack and since it couldn't survive that I have not found a use for it.  

KevinJ 19 Jul 2018
In reply to duckweed:

Not used the Velez Adventure Light.

However, if it assists at all, I have the earlier Velez (detachable hood and standard weight Analogy fabric) and wore it for a number of Scottish winter trips and other generally wet outings over the last 12 or so years.  Never had it leak due to ingress, but have been a little damp around the hem and cuffs due to the way the water moves through the fabric. Additionally, pressure points such as under rucksack straps can impact on the functionality of the fabric and lead to damp or wet patches underneath.  I've never had a major issue with this.  Generally been very pleased with it, but don't expect it to dry out much on a multi day snow holing trip!

More recently I was gifted a Quito which used the Analogy light fabric.  The face fabric is not particularly durable and the first few uses saw a couple of long pulls in the fabric due to catching on bushes, thorns, etc.  However, this is quite breathable and water proof/resistant.  No leaks through zips (and there are a few) and it is still quite a warm jacket so have reserved it for wet/snowy winter running, cycling and day walks with lightweight kit.  Reluctant to use it for anything where there is likely to be abrasion/catching due to the early experiences of the lighter weight face fabric. This includes long days with a rucksack due to concern about abrasion/bobbling.  The retailer did advise this can be prevented/reduced by regular cleaning and reproofing which should reduce the friction between jacket and sack (not entirely convinced??) and should extend to cleaning the rucksack as well to ensure you limit the potential for trapped grit, etc.

Overall though, really like the jackets but am more selective about when I wear them as opposed to a hard shell.

If the jacket suits, and you like the fabric, minor cosmetic differences shouldn't be a drama IMHO. However, I am aware (as in Larefia's reply) that different people have varying experiences with this gear.

Ridge 19 Jul 2018
In reply to KevinJ:

> I have the earlier Velez (detachable hood and standard weight Analogy fabric) and wore it for a number of Scottish winter trips and other generally wet outings over the last 12 or so years.  Never had it leak due to ingress, but have been a little damp around the hem and cuffs due to the way the water moves through the fabric. Additionally, pressure points such as under rucksack straps can impact on the functionality of the fabric and lead to damp or wet patches underneath.  

Interestingly I have the same version of the Velez. I really like the jacket, but treat it as a warm, durable, shower resistant windproof. Rain pours in through the side and front zips, (why manufacturers put storm flaps behind zips I'll never know...).

Post edited at 21:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...