UKC

Sport rope + tag line

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robertball 19 Jul 2018

I'm about to go to the alps and need to get a rope for sport (either 70/80m) not sure what to get and whether to get a tag line and if so what thickness.

MischaHY 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Robert Ballantyne:

If you're looking for something light and single then the Edelrid Canary Pro Dry 8.6 is brilliant. As for a tag line, Edelrid do a 6mm rap line which is great because then you double it up for massive abseils as well. 

wbo 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Robert Ballantyne:I've been using a Break Gully as a tag line as we needed to do 60m abseils.

Be very aware that if you're using a thin tag line and a 'normal' single that if you bounce around rappelling the thinner rope goes through the device faster and the knot will walk away from the anchor (depending on which side is up/down)

oldie 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Robertball:

Beal Escaper and single rope might be another option. Although many seem to think its a potentially dangerous device the first person abs with a stopper knot on it and is thus safe, so the last person has checked for any slipping and for retrievability before removing the stopper and following.

OP Robertball 20 Jul 2018
In reply to oldie:

The beal escaper gives me the fear but I think I might try it, it's a lot lighter (and less expensive) than any tag line around. 

Thanks

nniff 20 Jul 2018
In reply to wbo:

> I've been using a Break Gully as a tag line as we needed to do 60m abseils.

> Be very aware that if you're using a thin tag line and a 'normal' single that if you bounce around rappelling the thinner rope goes through the device faster and the knot will walk away from the anchor (depending on which side is up/down)

You might want to rethink how you're doing that - it sounds like you're just abseiling on two ropes of different thicknesses.

youtube.com/watch?v=90F5-4WO1No&t=319

wbo 20 Jul 2018
In reply to nniff:Yes.  Given that was what he had I don't see the advantage of the other method - much faff and potential to get stuff stuck.  Given that the routes were 600 and 700 m with repeated 55m raps speed and simplicity were high priority

Kemics 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Robertball:

I used a tag line in yosemite (5 or 6mm cord... cant remember) and more often than not it got stuck or didnt work. So would have to ascend the rope to sort it out. There's just so much stretch in cord that you cant pull it. Im told the solution is kevlar cord that has very low stretch but very high price! 

OP Robertball 20 Jul 2018
In reply to nniff:

I was going to abseil down on my thicker rope then pull it through with the tag line, any idea what thickness I'd want for the line?

nniff 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Robertball:

It doesn't really matter - the main priorities are that if it's too thin it's painful and hard work to pull down if there's much resistance, and it should be reasonably low stretch. 6mm is generally thought to be sensible.

OP Robertball 21 Jul 2018
In reply to MischaHY:

Wouldn't that be a bit thin, wear out quicker?

MischaHY 22 Jul 2018
In reply to Robertball:

Ahh I thought you were after something very light and single, perhaps misinterpreted? To be honest though modern skinny ropes don't wear out that much quicker unless you're battering them with top ropes or repeated big whippers on the same spot. The Canary has a 40% sheath which puts it in line with many thicker ropes in terms of durability - it's just the core you need to watch. 

I have one for light alpine and for long redpoints where the weight of the rope really counts. If you're looking for something a bit thicker that can take a beating then take a look at the Mammut Infinity 9.5, comes in various levels of treatment considering whether you want dry treated or not, and it's a tough puppy - also a wee bit cheaper than stuff from the likes of Petzl. We've got one in 80m for a project rope. 

Something I must say that surprised me with the Canary though is the lack of 'super stretch' that you tend to get with skinny ropes - it handles and performs more like a 9/9.5mm which is really great if you start getting into a big runout as you know you won't be going a million miles like you would with the Beal Opera (8.5), for example. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...