UKC

North West Highlands in early September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 29 Jul 2018

I've always been to the NW in early June, when it's a been a bit midgy but certainly bearable. Planning a trip in early September, which I guess is the height of midge season.

I've heard this year has been really bad for midges after a late start - which surprises me as I've had no trouble in the Lakes and Fairhead.

What are people's experiences? If it's most likely to be a case of camping being unbearable, having to wear a burka in order to cook, etc, then I'll just go somewhere else.

peanuts 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Quite the opposite, Midges have seemed tame in the heat, that's been the case from Oban upwards towards Glen Nevis, Torridon, Loch Broom & Ullapool in my experience this summer.  I mean still a pain, but nothing compared to what i've seen in the past.   I have noticed however that the Horseflies/Clegs have been a lot worse than usual, or so it seemed to me this summer.

I've had a couple of conversations with friends already this summer saying the same thing really, about the midges and clegs

OP Jon Stewart 29 Jul 2018
In reply to peanuts:

Thanks - fits with my experience other places. Will most probably head up and see what it's like. If it's terrible I'll stick with late spring for future trips!

kwoods 29 Jul 2018
In reply to peanuts:

Echo that - the midges don't seem to bad at all this year. They've certainly been there once or twice, but I've been active over the W Highlands all summer and barely seen them. The horseflies have been more noticeable.

Wicamoi 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Be optimistic - early September is definitely not the peak of the midge season, and midges have been relatively scarce, at least in the Torridon area, this year.

Predicting what you will experience in September is impossible, as I'm sure you know. If you get calm, warm and humid conditions you will undoubtedly experience some misery. But equally you might have breezes or frosts and an almost midgeless trip. In any case, unlike June, at least it gets dark in September, so you will definitely experience some relief in which you can cook and eat burka-free.

The two worst and utterly unforgettable midgings of my life - a life with a very generous distribution of midgings - both took place outside (and then inside) my tent on the 6th June (20 years apart). September has never been too bad.

Maybe consider early spring for a future trip? The first two weeks of May are often warm, dry and (almost) guaranteed to be entirely midge free - the loveliest time of year in the west highlands for me. 

Have a great trip. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...