UKC

Pick up V Van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 04 Aug 2018

Looking at new car/van/pickup for tax reasons a van pickup has benefits just wondered about the comfort/economy of long distance in a pickup ie wales to Scotland/ Alps

less tax benefit but a soft SUV such as BMW X3 might be more practical for 2/3 people plus gear 

and yes with this being UKC a Skoda Octavia will be considered 

bouldery bits 04 Aug 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Octavia VRS mate.

In reply to bouldery bits:

Okay ???? it is an option 

Fozzy 05 Aug 2018

Pickup camper conversions are easily doable, and there’s plenty of companies out there that’ll help you do so. The simplest way is to mount a roof tent on it & then fit out the load bay as a cooking area. 

What you do need to keep an eye on is the road weight, as some trucks can be classed as commercials and have the resulting lower speed limits, which is far from ideal. 

cander 05 Aug 2018

I’ve got a Toyota Hilux double cab, it’s comfortable for four people and cruises up the motorway at 80 no bother with a bit extra for overtaking. Plenty of space for gear etc in the back. Not bad off road. Thirsty but not as thirsty as a landy. If you’re a member of BASC you get 17% discount on the new price and if you’re VAT registered you get 17% back so a grand total of 34% off the new price.

goldmember 05 Aug 2018
In reply to cander:

That's amazing. Totally offsets the initial depreciation 

arch 05 Aug 2018

I've got a Hilux for work, half cab, so no good for passengers. But, it's a 2.4 litre and has no go in it at all. If I was to be getting one, i'd go for the 3 litre Invincible.  Another thing to consider is off road driving. Mine came with road tyres, which got changed for B F Goodrich all terrain. Still not perfect. I need 4 wheel drive most times off road. Mud terrains may be better for off road, but not for mainly road driving.

The clutch isn't brilliant on mine either, but I do have to tow heavy Generators and trailers about. 

Overall, I'd give mine 7/10  

Edit: Just had a look on Toyota's website, and I can't find a 3 litre engine. Very strange.

Post edited at 10:13
 cander 05 Aug 2018
In reply to arch:

If you’re going off road and towing heavy stuff why wouldn’t you have a defender (apart from the obvious discomfort) it’s what they’re for.

arch 05 Aug 2018
In reply to cander:

The Defender is no longer made and at the time wasn't a option. Hilux or Ford Ranger was the choice we were given. Had a Landrover before and I wouldn't have another again. If you're under 5'10" you're probably ok in one. I'm 6'3" and they're a pain (Literally) for me to drive one. 

Agree that they are the best off road vehicle of that class going. Just not for me. 

Fozzy 05 Aug 2018
In reply to arch:

If I was buying new, I’d go for an Isuzu Dmax. My farming/gamekeeping mates either have those or L200s, and both are great trucks but the Dmax wins it on value. 

Had both, get a van, more room, more use in general and more economical. Had both VW transporters and HiLux pick ups. The only reason for a pick up is if you need 4wd and need to put dirty stuff in the back, even then you can get a trailer instead. New-ish transporters/transits drive and handle much better than pick ups. If you do need one for off roading you need off road tyres to make it worthwhile as somebody pointed out. If you do want to go off road don't even think about it in a fwd van!

Post edited at 19:15
 wbo 05 Aug 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:I read this simply as 'pick up van'.  So, tinted windows, and pukka wheels and you'll be a hit with the ladies

arch 05 Aug 2018
In reply to Fozzy:

The Dmax is now the only choice at work, and two of the lads in our gang have them. Quite a nice drive, probably better than the Hilux. Still 2.4 litre though, so no go in them.

Lots of lads hoping the new Defender is coming out soon.

Andrew Kin 06 Aug 2018

I once threatened to hand in my notice at work if they forced me to have a pickup.  I cannot for the life of me work out why you would want one as an everyday vehicle.  The list of compromises on them is huge

1) Difficult to get into or out of without hitting your head

2) Long stretched out seating position.  Legs are always stuck out

3) HUUUUUUGE turning circle.  20 point turns

4) Unresponsive suspension

5) Hard rear suspension to meet magic 1t payload

6) Poor rear passenger space

7) Stupid low gearing for everything other than towing/4x4

8) Poor fuel economy

9) Expensive 4x4 gubbins to repair

10) Who wants to put shopping in a load bed?

11) Don't fit in car park spaces

A van is 10x more practicle other than for what the 4x4 pickup is designed for.  Off road load lugger.

krikoman 06 Aug 2018
In reply to Andrew Kin:

Fiat Doblo LWB Crew Van.

Loads of space, folding back seat, bike fits inside without taking the from wheel off, 44 mpg. classed as a Light Good Vechicle, drives like a car. £13K on the road.

Cons,

can be a bit loud, road noise pick up.

60 on dual carrageways.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...