UKC

Monty Python, imitated?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 06 Aug 2018

Has anybody ever tried to copy, imitate, emulate or improve on Monty Python comedy?

In reply to The Lemming:

Rees-Mogg, Johnson, Farage, Gove and Fox have been trying really hard to emulate this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=k5ba1OKY7Xc&

DerwentDiluted 06 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm not sure, but there was an uproar when the General Synod released their controversial, and some would say, scurrilous, film "the life of Christ"

youtube.com/watch?v=asUyK6JWt9U&

Lusk 06 Aug 2018
 Blue Straggler 19 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Are you actually asking whether there has ever been another sometimes-genius-but-undeniably patchy comedy sketch show using a core set of writers and performers and often doing absurd/surreal sketches? 

There have been plenty of those but perhaps the one that came closest to Python, was C4's Absolutely (1989 to 1994). It even ran - like Python - to an unwelcome and poor fourth series!

You probably think it doesn't hold a candle to Python. You'd be wrong, it's on par - a lot of Python was weak. Now you'll click dislike! Have a nice day

DaveHK 19 Aug 2018
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> There have been plenty of those but perhaps the one that came closest to Python, was C4's Absolutely

I loved that. Totally underrated.

DerwentDiluted 19 Aug 2018

> There have been plenty of those but perhaps the one that came closest to Python, was C4's Absolutely (1989 to 1994). 

It IS it's true!

Clarence 19 Aug 2018

I can't think of the first James Bond without thinking of Seen Canary. Right, that's me, I are off sponking now!

ThunderCat 19 Aug 2018

> There have been plenty of those but perhaps the one that came closest to Python, was C4's Absolutely (1989 to 1994). It even ran - like Python - to an unwelcome and poor fourth series!

> You probably think it doesn't hold a candle to Python. You'd be wrong, it's on par - a lot of Python was weak. Now you'll click dislike! Have a nice day

I remember that.  Great stuff. 

StoneyBridge Town Council used to make me smile.  

In reply to ThunderCat:

It could be Timbuktu or Paris, or even Thailand

but there’s only one place and that’s Stoneybridge

for

the

Highland.........

games

Fredt 19 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I always thought the Fast Show was probably closest to MPFC.

In reply to Fredt:

I would respectfully disagree. It was fairly “conventional” comedy, none of came across as “experimental/absurdist”. It was good, but I don’t think it was even trying to be Pythonesque

marsbar 19 Aug 2018

All the episodes are on All 4  

Clarence 19 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't think there has been anything all that close in the same format. The closest I can think of are a sitcom, The Young Ones, and a comedy variety show, Vic Reeves Big Night Out. They both had pythonesque elements but in a different style and with far fewer pointless references to Kierkegaard.

In reply to marsbar:

I have the DVD box set. The last time I tried watching All 4, it was a painful experience. So so much advertising and no way to fast forward even during the show itself. Has it improved? This was three or four years ago

In reply to Clarence:

I don’t think The Lemming will reply on thread, this seems like one of his “not in any way a troll but an odd only-post-the-OP-cos-he-wants-to-start-a-discussion” threads.

Postig at 21:07, countdown to first dislike starts NOW

Duncan Bourne 19 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Not the Nine o'clock news springs to mind as similar in format. Given that a lot of python "surreal" comedy was actually parody of things current at the time.

Surreal comedy wise I would go for the Young Ones or the Day to Day which was just pure genius.

Also pre-dating and contempory with Python you have the Goons and Spike Milligan's Q series

Additionally not really python related but still weird is League of Gentlemen

Post edited at 21:19
OP The Lemming 19 Aug 2018
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> Additionally not really python related but still weird is League of Gentlemen

I'd argue that League of Gentlemen is an evolutionary step up from Python, in the same way that Python developed from Spike Milligan.

In reply to The Lemming:

Good point, good observation. 

I never got into League of Gentlemen but that is from lack of effort on my part mostly - it clearly required some viewer investment. 

Tell you what was proper "Emperor's New Clothes" though. The Mighty Boosh. Feeble stuff. 

DaveHK 20 Aug 2018

For me, the Boosh blew hot and cold. Some of it was brilliant, some feeble as you say.

DerwentDiluted 20 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Shadwell was an Absolutely charachter right? If so it was responsible for one if the best lines I can remember as Shadwell reminisces about his holidays:

"We borrowed Uncle Denzils' company car, we set off in June, and arrived in August. I didn't know he was a milkman"

Doug 20 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Long time since I watched it but, at least in my memory,  Naked Video was very good in parts (fond memories of the Outer Hebrides Broadcasting Corporation sketches). But maybe only shown on BBC Scotland ?

Bulls Crack 20 Aug 2018

First series on radio of the MB was brilliant. Thereafter hmmm

wercat 20 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I think some bits of "Look Around You" might have equalled the Pythons, even with a bit of surrealism of ideas

The Lesson about music and the bit about the Boite Diabolique was genius in concept and execution

Post edited at 10:02
 DerwentDiluted 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Doug:

>  Naked Video was very good in parts (fond memories of the Outer Hebrides Broadcasting Corporation sketches). But maybe only shown on BBC Scotland ?

A fondly remembered headline from OHBC -

"The Government has announced that Scotland is to be developed into Disneyland. This is because Scotland Disney work, Disney vote Tory and Disney matter"

Post edited at 10:13
 Clarence 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Doug:

Down here in England we still get most Scottish BBC comedies -Naked Video, Chewin the Fat, Limmys Show, Still Game and Gary Tank Commander are all much enjoyed nationwide.

Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Doug:

Naked Video was shown in England. BBC2 9pm slot, not sure which night. I liked it

cander 21 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Spike Milligan - very patchy but at his best genius - I loved the way he’d just crack up when telling a joke. 

As for this - just brilliant.

youtube.com/watch?v=TkOAUht3G5o&

Fondly remembered, and very good in its day.  Hasn't aged quite so well but the good bits remain outstanding.

Which brings me to the probably-controversial that Monty Python - the TV show, not the films - hasn't aged well either.  The good bits remain good, but other bits have lost something as society has developed.  The spam sketch, for all its Viking absurdity, doesn't chime the way it did because now far fewer people eat the stuff.  

T.

MonkeyPuzzle 21 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I would controversially offer Big Train, and would say it knocks Python into a cocked hat.

wercat 22 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Anyone remember Rutland Weekend Television?

malk 23 Aug 2018
In reply to cander:

> Spike Milligan - very patchy but at his best genius - I loved the way he’d just crack up when telling a joke. 

Python imitated Spike..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q..._(TV_series)

ThunderCat 23 Aug 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> I would controversially offer Big Train, and would say it knocks Python into a cocked hat.

Big Train was VERY good.  The sketch about the actual Big Train still makes me laugh

ThunderCat 23 Aug 2018
In reply to wercat:

> Anyone remember Rutland Weekend Television?

Is that what spawned "The Rutles"?

"CheeseAndOnion" is a great song.

Blue Straggler 24 Aug 2018
In reply to ThunderCat:

First series was great. Second series was beyond wretched. Never seen something drop in quality so markedly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...