UKC

Will Boris survive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 09 Aug 2018

Looks like Boris is under investigation. What happens if he is cleared by his party?

The police have already said that he has broken no laws with his most recent comments of Bank Roberts and letterboxes, so what will happen if he is given a green light by his own party?

Will it be open season to say what you want to who ever you want and use the excuse, it was just to start a conversation about free speech?

Post edited at 17:24
In reply to The Lemming:

There'll be a prolonged investigation before he'll be given his own show on Amazon Prime, "The Grand Furore"... Or "The Grand Fuhrer", or something like that

stevieb 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

The reason he shouldn’t survive is because of his performance/absence as foreign secretary for the past two years. 

A pathetic lazy joke thrown into an otherwise fairly liberal article, is far less important.

Removed User 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Well I don't know about Boris. If he doesn't survive it will sadly be another victory for the politically correct liberal elite and the snowflakes. It will be another nail in the  coffin of the great British sense of humour and fair play

Darron 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

> Well I don't know about Boris.

Obvs.

kevin stephens 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming: the fact he said “F**k business” is far more offensive than his Torygraph article in which he complained about the burqua but wouldn’t ban it

Pan Ron 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Might well be enshrined in party-policy, as soon as there is a complaint (or some other benchmark event) then an investigation has to take place.  Or perhaps they're just going through the motions because they feel the need to "do something".

Like Obi Wan, I suspect striking Boris down over this dark act, will only make him become much more powerful than you could ever imagine.  Like the direction Sweden has turned in, the coincidental knocking back of Boris following the recent Tommy Robinson case, will more likely galvanise a feeling that criticism of Islam is accorded special privilege and coalesce the hard right and mainstream right.  None of that is good news for left-liberal thinking.

Post edited at 21:27
OP The Lemming 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Boris even got on the news again

youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8uYue1vtk&

Removed User 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Oh, off the top of my head... lying to his leader, giving the address of someone so they could be assaulted, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, F*ck business, all of his behaviour during the Brexit campaign and going into hiding when they actually won.... of course he'll survive. Ever heard of Liam Fox? I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeffrey Archer and Jonathan Aitken turning up on the front benches sometime.

kevin stephens 09 Aug 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:intrigued by the dislikes, maybe an explanation? What Boris was implying was that everybody’s job in manufacturing in the UK should be open to sacrifice for his dogma driven Brexit campaign and political self interest 

Post edited at 22:17
 cander 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

He’ll be the next leader of the party and consequently the prime minister unless the EU leaders come up with a face saving deal that saves TM. 

DancingOnRock 09 Aug 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

You only got 2 dislikes. Most probably for ‘Torygraph’. 

Must try harder.

DancingOnRock 09 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

No. 

The original article is very cleverly worded. It’s what he does. He’s a wordsmith. It’s inviting discussion. 

There are a group (large or otherwise) who would like to see him gone and there is a group (very large) of people who like to shout Islamophobia at every opportunity. 

Conservatives - Islamophobic. 

Labour - anti semantic. 

It goes round in circles. Must be holiday season. 

Meanwhile Northamptonshire council are £70m in the red and several other councils are in the deep do do. 

Removed User 10 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> The police have already said that he has broken no laws

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.

Dave Garnett 10 Aug 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Labour - anti semantic. 

I think that's just the John Prescott tendency.

Dave Garnett 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

> Oh, off the top of my head... lying to his leader, giving the address of someone so they could be assaulted, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, F*ck business, all of his behaviour during the Brexit campaign and going into hiding when they actually won.... 

I completely agree about his many crimes and I think there's a certain strange symmetry between his current troubles and Corbyn's.  Neither is remotely qualified for high office and both are being crucified for what are, objectively, trivia.

Corbyn is honest, principled but wrong and incompetent and is ensnared by his own intransigence and self-righteousness.  Johnson is utterly unprincipled and entirely self-interested but rather capable, and may yet be brought down by his incurable flippancy. 

iknowfear 10 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

in the long run? no. No one does. 

In reply to The Lemming:

I imagine he will, but it will hopefully be something else that will stop him taking over from May if she goes before the next election.

Any comment about religion is always going to offend someone, but on a purely observational level, we all know he was right in what he said, and you can't be wrong if you're right.

jkarran 10 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

He deserves to fade out of public life into obscurity but not for this article specifically. He won't, this is setting him up nicely to try what Trump has managed.

jk

Removed User 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> Any comment about religion is always going to ....

In yesterday's Telegraph somebody wrote a letter saying that the Archbishop of Canterbury looks an idiot dressed in his tea cosy and grandmother's curtains.

I'm still waiting for the kneejerk uproar.

arch 10 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

If everyone is saying it's ok for Muslim women to wear the Burka, does that mean it's ok to have the Darts walk on and F1 grid girls back ??

Can't see why not, their choice............

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...