UKC

A harness for instructor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Arnoldjayjay 18 Aug 2018

So I am a outdoor instructor at a camp site in Surrey and I use my harness most days for hours. Currently I use a DMM sport harness what is nice and light for when I just walk around site with it on but the problem is that when I belay for long periods of time it digs in and gets painful.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what harness would solve this problem. 

I would use it for belaying during  climbing, crate stacking, Jacobs ladder (what is constant tension on me and the harness) and I also do zipwire and absailing which doesn't use the harness (unless I fall off ????)

Can anyone help? 

HeMa 18 Aug 2018
In reply to Arnoldjayjay:

modern "bigwall" harnesses tend to be comfy and not that restrictive when walkin' around.

that said, it depends on the "fit"... so go to a shop and test numerous harnesses by hanging from 'em a while (say 5 mins minimum per harness). a good shop will be able to provide this and you'll soon realized what harnesses will work & fit ya.

PaulW 18 Aug 2018

Any of the more solid harnesses would give you more support, DMM Renegade or Petal Corax as suggestions.

But they by definition do tend to be more bulky and restrictive. For what you want there will be a compromise somewhere.

I really like the Arcteryx harnesses and the way the load spreads over the belt even though they are small and light but others find they are not rigid enough for them.

PaulW 18 Aug 2018

+1 for going to a shop and having a hang in various ones too

The Lemming 18 Aug 2018

> Can anyone help? 

Eat more pies and put on some padding.

Post edited at 08:02

Good post! Light isn’t always right.

BD Big Gun harness, reduced price here:

https://rockrun.com/products/black-diamond-big-gun-harness

Post edited at 10:28
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Aug 2018

It is 'abseiling' (German 'off rope') btw,

Chris

Pero 18 Aug 2018
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> It is 'abseiling' (German 'off rope') btw,

> Chris

"Ab" in German generally means "off", but it also means "down", as in "auf und ab", meaning "up and down".

So, it is more logically "down roping".

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Aug 2018
In reply to Pero:

Cheers for  - I have always thought it as 'down rope' but I double-checked via Google Translate which introduced a bit of doubt in my mind,

Chris

MischaHY 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Pero:

> "Ab" in German generally means "off", but it also means "down", as in "auf und ab", meaning "up and down".

> So, it is more logically "down roping".

This makes the most sense in terms of contextual use as well - when climbing with Germans 'Ab' is the command to come down in common use. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...