UKC

Mavic Pro 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 23 Aug 2018

Please give me a reason not to buy one because my palms are itching at the thought of a Hassleblad lens and 1 inch sensor on a drone that can fly at just shy of 50mph.

Wft 23 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Someone will shoot it down with a sling shot

Dark-Cloud 23 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I knew they would release a new better one as soon as I bought the Air, buggeration.....

In reply to The Lemming:

> Please give me a reason not to buy one because my palms are itching at the thought of a Hassleblad lens and 1 inch sensor on a drone that can fly at just shy of 50mph.

I agree. I didn't expect this. I thought it would be more gizmos and sensors, but a really good camera was actually just what is really needed to make it the device of choice. I would avoid the zoom version though  - the 20MP Pro looks to be the one.

Alan

OP The Lemming 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

You're not helping.

OP The Lemming 24 Aug 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I wish people would stop putting reviews on YouTube

youtube.com/watch?v=q1Hks_NieMk&

In reply to The Lemming:

I have now got the Mavic 2 Zoom version. Changed my mind for what we need it for since the Zoom is really useful to do merges when taking big crags plus the wider-angle lens it offers is good.

It is very slightly bigger and heavier than the Mavic Pro and of course has bigger batteries. Claims all round sensors but appears in reality to only have front and back obstacle avoidance and sensors working so far. This makes it quite choosy about where you can fly it since it starts getting fussy around 5m from obstacles which is safer than you may want. 

It requires fast SD cards (as I found out yesterday when I realised half the photos I had taken hadn't been written to the SD card). The camera is significantly more substantial than the thin wobbly thing on the Pro so it may take a crash better if you are unlucky.

Apart from that it handles just like the Mavic Pro although landing is trickier since it doesn't take a foot booster attachment (or no-one has built one yet and I can't see where it would attach anyway). This makes landing on rough ground trickier.

Alan

balmybaldwin 14 Sep 2018

It's more than possible to hand catch them... But be carefull and get used to it before you try in anger.

essentially hover it in front of you, then quickly grab it from underneath and hold firmly whilst holding down on the throttle stick. (It will fight you for a few seconds and then power down)

For obvious reasons this is not recommended by DJI, but it means easy landings in rough terrain.

It actually looks much easier/safer with the mavic 2 than the old one:

youtube.com/watch?v=2vx5xirLslQ&

Dark-Cloud 14 Sep 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

i have hand landed my Mavic Air a few times but did manage to get it horribly wrong once and it caught my thumb with a prop, not a mark on it but the pain was rather exquisite....

jethro kiernan 14 Sep 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

I’m in a pickle, I’m torn between getting an inspire with m4/3 camera and keeping my dji air for travel or getting a Mavic Pro 2 with the 1” sensor.

really like the idea of the m4/3 sensor

In reply to balmybaldwin:

> It actually looks much easier/safer with the mavic 2 than the old one:

> youtube.com/watch?v=2vx5xirLslQ&

Wow, that looks smoother than the Mavic Pro. I have done a lot of catch-lands with that and they are straightforward but it does go a bit ballistic when the sensors see your hand. I liked the idea of fooling it intro thinking that it can land.

Alan

OP The Lemming 14 Sep 2018

I really really want one, but not this year.

I have to be a good rodent and not buy any more toys this year.

balmybaldwin 14 Sep 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Unless you are 100% sure you are going to use the inspire on at least a weekly basis (probably commercially with a second operator) I wouldn't go for it. Yes the cameras you can hang off it are much better but it is significantly more of a pain in the a** to transport - it's big and it's slow to change direction. batteries are also bigger, so you are limited to fewer batteries on  plane

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...