UKC

Stolen bike - advice wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 01 Oct 2018

My girlfriend's bike was stolen back in May. At the time of course, we contacted the police, who set up a case file on it with the bike's details (incl frame number). Of course, unsurprisingly, they were able to do little else.

This evening, she was tipped off by a friend to a facebook post of a bike of the same model for sale in the area. The post was made yesterday (Saturday). We compared the photos with photos she has from when she bought it and we're 95% certain it's her bike. Despite the low resolution of the seller's photos, there are patterns of scratches visible that seem to be a perfect match. There's no way it could just be coincidence.

I've recommended that she contact the police first thing tomorrow. However, my concerns are that if the police are not convinced that the bike is the same, they may decline to act. Also, there's not a lot of time to act since the bike may be sold very soon, but the police may understandably not regard it as urgent. A couple of people have already expressed interest in the comments on the post.

I'm wondering whether it's worth messaging those people who've contacted the seller, just to make them aware of the situation. I'm also trying to weigh up whether it would be wise trying to contact the seller myself and feigning an interest in the bike, which could help to delay it's sale.

Can anyone advise what the best course of action would be, and what the likelihood is that the police will act on our evidence?

profitofdoom 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Disclaimer, non-expert

My non-wisdom is, [1] go and talk with the police again (visit, not phone). [2] Do not message the people who have contacted the seller. [3] Do not contact the seller yourself

Good luck. You have all my sympathy. It happened to me when I was about 15. By chance I saw my bike outside someone's house 2 miles away. I rang the doorbell, the mother came to the door and was very evasive, I said 'Bye' and walked off with my bike NOT RECOMMENDED NOWADAYS I THINK

StuDoig 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

I'd contact the Police and report it but not the seller as you could very quickly muddy the waters if you try get it back yourself.  However, I'd not expect the police to actually DO anything even if you could prove it was your girlfriends bike.  We had a similar situation (bikes stolen from garage) reported to the police c/w descriptions, serial numbers, distinctive damage etc and no joy, even though someone a street away had actually handed it into the police (found it chucked over their garden fence along with a couple of other bikes) so it was in their possession.  When it all came out eventually their position was that it wasn't a problem since we'd have been able to claim a new bike on insurance anyway.  A very sad approach.

Cheers,

Stu

jon 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Compare the frame no?

tistimetogo 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Had a very similar circumstance myself recently with two laptops appearing on gumtree that matched the appearance and description of two laptops stolen from my house from a break-in. Police could do nothing despite the very suspicious circumstance and matching appearance in photos. Was told that unless the poster is stupid enough to post serial numbers or something so you can use to specifically identify the goods then the police won't go round to knock the doors in.

Didn't fancy going myself as the location was pretty dodgy and I'm not going to get my head kicked in for a couple of old laptops.

Post edited at 09:49
 LastBoyScout 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

There are various stories about people recovering their own stolen bikes after informing the police of their intentions:

https://road.cc/content/news/195809-man-gets-stolen-bike-back-police-sting-...

https://road.cc/content/news/174030-comedian-dara-%C3%B3-briain-gets-stolen...

https://road.cc/content/news/230733-bristol-woman-searches-every-bike-rack-...

https://road.cc/content/news/124733-hampshire-cyclist-recovers-stolen-bike-...

The problem you have is that the person selling it might not be the actual thief - given the time since the theft, they may have bought it in good faith from the actual thief. So, you need to tread carefully - definitely get the police involved.

BrendanO 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

I'd be tempted to go along as a buyer, with large friend, and big lock. Ideally meet in public place - if seller is thief, they may be keen to. While looking over the bike, put lock on it and declare it yours and stolen. You can then scarper if need be, but think prob not necessary as seller/thief stuck, or at least has to go home for portable angle grinder.

re police, that's a tricky one, prob different for every force, and changes often. I would advise them you are going to get it, give them time and place, and ask if they wanna attend to improve their clear-up rate.

good luck. Scumbags!

let us all know if you get lucky please!

Philip 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Check it over, if it's yours then steal it. It's a bike - a natural part of the process of checking it out would be to test the gears and brakes.

So plan in advance, park a few streets away, plan a couple of routes, maybe the route to the nearest police station, or a public place you could lock it up (have a lock in a backpack).

Then just cycle off. In fact if you want a real laugh and have an old bag, put a brick in it and hand it to the thief with "hold on to this while I take it for a spin" and then cycle off - how long until he looks in the bag! Also you could report him for stealing your bag once you're out of sight.

Tyler 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

It depends on your main requirement, if it is to recover the bike then go round as interested buyer and if it's yours tell him you're taking it and if he doesn't like it ring the police.

If your aim is to see the thief up in court then don't visit and contact the police with your info but don't hold your breath waiting to be called as a witness in court. 

You might be worried about the fight that may ensue when you go to visit but a bike thief does not equate to a violent crim and will most likely want a quiet life but if you have a couple of handy looking mates I'd take them along for show.

Post edited at 12:39
 maxsmith 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

Make sure you tell him why you are taking it !

Timmd 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

If the bike was stolen from her home address, that could be something to keep in mind when thinking about stealing it back again - it might depend on your approach. You pretending to be interested in the bike, and arranging some point in time like in a week or something to meet up and have a look at it while trying to get the police involved could be a plan

Post edited at 13:12
 GridNorth 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

If the bike was insured and you have received a payout then it now belongs to the insurance company I would have thought.  Perhaps they would be interested.

Al

In reply to Trevers:

The police might do something. I heard about someone the other day who saw their bike for sale on Ebay and organised a 'sting' with the police and it led to the recovery of dozens of other stolen bikes and the conviction of a thief.

elsewhere 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Unfair to go to twitter first but if you don't get a response you like at your local station...

...tweet to the local police force asking for specific assistance. Tag tweet with police force, local press, local radio and local MP.

I barely understand twitter so read something like this before following this suggestion.

https://consumercomplaintsnumbers.co.uk/complain-using-twitter-get-complain...

Post edited at 14:24
 Dauphin 01 Oct 2018
In reply to elsewhere:

Probably the best route. Plod love Twitter. You wouldn't want them to think you were upholding the patriarchy and hetro-normative status quo by being a protector/ provider so make you do your nails and bang on some lippy before necessary selfie. Fabulous!

D

OP Trevers 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll post an update when all is settled.

Timmd 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Dauphin:

> Probably the best route. Plod love Twitter. You wouldn't want them to think you were upholding the patriarchy and hetro-normative status quo by being a protector/ provider so make you do your nails and bang on some lippy before necessary selfie. Fabulous!

> D

Says a straight man (?)

Dauphin 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Assuming my gender, sexual proclivities? Gulag for you.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/921280386033782784

D

Post edited at 11:21
 Timmd 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Dauphin:

Research shows that mental health challenges like depression, anxiety, self harm and considering suicide, are more common among LGTB people who don't fit into it, suggesting that it isn't so funny for some (the heteronomative status quo).  

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2017/07/06/mental-health-challenges...

Sometimes those who experience things don't joke, and those who joke don't experience them.  

Edit: These dislikes are rather funny. This post is prompted me from me noticing the same trend among people I know, so I thought I'd share the info in a hopefully friendly and informative way.

'I dislike reality...'

Post edited at 15:10
Deadeye 03 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

My not be advisable but a lot of people will arrange to buy, and then go and collect with 5 mates in the car as backup...

OP Trevers 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Trevers:

Things didn't go so well here. We contacted the seller, but soon after the bike was listed as sold so has presumably been moved on.

Our first thought was that if we contacted facebook and explained the situation, they might be able to provide metadata on the messages linked to the post to enable us to contact whoever purchased it. However, there isn't a customer support service that you can phone or email. There is a "community support forum", which is completely useless.

There is the option to report the post to facebook for breach of standards. However, stolen items are not a part of their list of options. So I had to report the post for selling "drugs, guns or regulated products" instead, which was the closest match to "stolen item" I could find. 

Facebook have replied thanking me for my "feedback" but predictably they say the post doesn't go against their standard, but maybe I can block it if I find it offensive. I've responded with feedback explaining the actual situation, but I don't have much faith it'll be read by a human being.

In summary, facebook have no customer support and seem to be perfectly happy that their product is being used as a platform for the sale of stolen goods.

Our only recourse, it seems, is to start directly contacting the seller or his girlfriend in the hopes that he'll be sufficiently scared that he'll divulge the information on who purchased the bike off him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...