UKC

Good manufacturing companies - Sheffield?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 11 Oct 2018

Hi folks, so I'm a Mechanical fitter looking to relocate to Sheffield or nearby. Currently I build gas turbines, but would like to move away from that industry if possible.

I'm looking for recommendations for good manufacturing companies around Sheffield Ideally day shifts or Ealies & Lates (nights would cause problems for me) and pay around £26k - £30k (taking shift premium into account). Any suggestions?

Cheers

Michael

Post edited at 15:49
Bellie 11 Oct 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Have a look at www.madeinsheffield.org. and click on licence holders.   A rough guide to some of the Sheffield companies and websites.  It might be a good start for you to create a list for getting in touch.

Might be worth a look at the Sheffield Chamber of Commerce website, and I'd throw in Barnsley and Rotherham chamber too, as the manufacturing area of Sheffield runs into Rotherham as you cross the M1.  

They have always been a helpful team... so if you email them they might give you some good pointers.

Post edited at 16:15
 krikoman 11 Oct 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Why not look at any FM company, they're always looking for people, probably because they're not the best payers, but it might be worth a go.

OP Tigger 11 Oct 2018
In reply to Bellie:

Thanks for the link and pointers, hopefully something will come up, might need to side step into plant/maintenance work.

tjdodd 11 Oct 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Also worth looking at the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (https://www.amrc.co.uk/) and associated companies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Manufacturing_Park

Rolls-Royce have a factory there and Boeing and McLaren opening soon.

OP Tigger 11 Oct 2018
In reply to tjdodd:

I've been keepong my eye on that place but they've generally been after high qualified folk. RR might provide something though...

Dax H 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Tigger:

Just sent you a private message with the number of a mate of mine who can help. He is a recruiter who only deals with maintenance positions from Fitter to manager in Yorkshire. 

OP Tigger 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Dax H:

Wow, thanks. I'll give him a call as soon as I've sussed the next problem... Somewhere to live, would be 120 mile round trip for me atm. Got a very comfy van I could live in for a few weeks though until I got my place up for let, just hope wherever I end up has showers...

Dax H 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Tigger:

It's not the area you are looking for but I have just heard that United Utilities are looking for senior fitters to join them. Their game is water treatment in the west right down to the peak district. Might be worth checking out their website. 

In reply to Tigger:

Indeed has got a few on at minute 

Philip 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Tigger:

> I've been keepong my eye on that place but they've generally been after high qualified folk. RR might provide something though...

Drop them a mail. I sponsor work at these places and while most of them will go on about the PhDs they have working on the projects in the background are some very handy fitters doing the machining and fabrication for trials.

Similarly you could drop University of Sheffield materials or engineering departments a mail.

I also know someone who works in the DT workshop at local private school - doing the prep work, teaching kids how to use the machines. He's from a food tech fitter background.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...