UKC

The Dawn Wall - tonight, one night only

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 16 Oct 2018

The film The Dawn Wall is showing in the UK at the moment.

It's on in Sheffield tonight. The later showing is sold out but, perhaps due to poor web site design, there's still plenty of seats for the 5.30pm showing.

Tickets are £10 from:

https://uk.demand.film/dawn-wall/

Don't use the map, which seems to only take you to the later, sold out screening. Instead scroll down to Sheffield where both screenings are.

Although the trailer has been around the actual event/s don't seem to have been well publicised so I thought I'd share it here as I nearly missed it myself.

danm 16 Oct 2018
In reply to stp:

It's been really well publicised, to the extent it sold out rather quickly. Matt added on the earlier screening to attempt to meet the crazy demand, it's just a bit early for most workers. There's also a showing at Regather in December.

andy healey 16 Oct 2018
In reply to stp:

Full list of showings here
https://uk.demand.film/dawn-wall/ 

OP stp 16 Oct 2018
In reply to danm:

I only found out it was on by accident - by reading through this months UKC film thread and someone had seen it in Bristol. I haven't seen any publicity aside from the trailer. I did check the website sometime ago but no dates were announced back then. Also several climbers I know didn't know it was on either despite living just round the corner from the cinema. So I certainly wouldn't say it's been well publicised. Superb film I thought.

The Sheff screening was organized by Matt Heason who also has a screening of the Alex Honnold film planned in early December. Details on that will be announced via his web site and email list: www.heason.net

planetmarshall 16 Oct 2018
In reply to stp:

> I only found out it was on by accident - by reading through this months UKC film thread and someone had seen it in Bristol. 

Oh well obviously you exhausted all possibilities, then.

I googled "The Dawn Wall", went to the first link, clicked on "tickets", clicked on the UK, and was taken to a "Find events near you" page.

While I agree it would have been more direct to have someone randomly accost me in the street screaming at me to buy tickets to go see The Dawn Wall in Sheffield, possibly Tommy Caldwell himself wearing a "Dawn Wall" t-shirt, I thought that the website was straightforward enough.

Si dH 16 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

For what it's worth  I did exactly what you suggested last week, and the website I visited (the film makers own I thought) suggested there were no showings left in the UK. I now discover there is in fact a showing near me in two days time, but now I'm double booked - frustrating.

So I think your response to Stp is a bit unfair. 

planetmarshall 17 Oct 2018
In reply to Si dH:

> For what it's worth  I did exactly what you suggested last week, and the website I visited (the film makers own I thought) suggested there were no showings left in the UK.

The website listed by ah above? (https://uk.demand.film/dawn-wall/) - it lists dozens of showings.

> I think your response to Stp is a bit unfair. 

Ok it was maybe a bit heavy on the sarcasm, but for an event that was supposedly poorly publicised, it seemed to do a remarkably good job of selling out - to the extent that they put on an additional unscheduled showing.

Mark Collins 17 Oct 2018
In reply to stp:

Thanks for this. I was hoping to watch it at Kendal but it looks like the only showing is scheduled during my journey home.

Si dH 17 Oct 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

This link, which to my mind is more obvious:

http://www.dawnwall-film.com

When I checked last week I didn't realise that the flags on that page were links to local ticket sellers. I scrolled down to the list of international screenings at the bottom and for some reason it doesn't show any in the UK, so I understandably thought it had finished.

Poor website design in my view. 

Post edited at 20:28
 Dave Reeve 18 Oct 2018
In reply to Si dH:

For those in East Anglia it's being shown in Norwich at the Odeon, Riverside on Monday 22nd October at 18:00.

Mark Collins 26 Oct 2018
In reply to stp:

Thank you so much for posting the link

We went to see the Preston showing last night and were completely gob smacked, an absolute triumph! The attention to detail was excellent. Help for a potentially non-climbing audience to understand the significance of this ascent was carefully explained via communicative graphics and inclusive verbal explanation. The back stories of the climbers journeys to the base was comprehensive, with many voices heard. So many camera angles were used on the climb itself, putting the audience right there. Can't have been a dry eye in the house by the end, me and my mum were certainly in bits. Put it like this, it was worth the wait.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...