UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Grivel Twin Gate Carabiners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 26 Oct 2018
Mega k6gThe Twin Gate is a safety revolution. The innovative design makes it a perfect snapgate or screwgate carabiner with the difference that it's safer and faster: screw gates need extra time to screw and climbers sometimes forget. No more grit, ice and freezing conditions jamming gates and screws.

Read more
 jezb1 26 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Two of my least favourite things in one krab, a wire retainer and those twin gates!

Rick Graham 26 Oct 2018
In reply to jezb1:

> Two of my least favourite things in one krab, a wire retainer and those twin gates!

Suit yourself.

I bought a couple (on offer at the climbers shop ) to try them.

I rate them, they work really well as belay krabs.

I now wonder if screwgates would catch on if they had been invented after twingates.

It is now easy to visually check that the double gate is being correctly used, far easier than a screwgate.

Post edited at 14:01
 drolex 26 Oct 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

No idea how good the twingate is but the video with Stevie Haston is up there in the classics of climbing and acting, along with Vertical Limit, in my opinion.

Post edited at 14:45
 gravy 26 Oct 2018

They've a bit of a design flaw - they're quite a lot fatter (in profile) than a normal carabiner so it's hard to clip chains (or bolts when there is something else already there) at lower offs with them. You can clip the ring or around the whole chain easily enough but it's often handy to clip the links themselves to free up the ring or adjust your position. Extra faff.

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 29 Oct 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

I agree with Rick. I have been very happy using the Clepsydra S to belay with a Black Diamond ATC sport. I find it surprisingly intuitive to use. You can't fail to fully close the gate but I do notice how often I still subconsciously check the non existent screw gate is tight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...