UKC

Devastation in the Dolomites after hurricane

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 01 Nov 2018

I've been trawling through my facebook feed this morning seeing the devastation caused by a Medicane on Monday in Italy (Mediterranean Hurricane). Apparently they have had extreme winds which have cause huge areas of forest to be blown flat, landslides, lahaa's due to the liquifaction caused by torrential rain, metres of snow in the mountains. Currently the valley our house is situated in has no power or water as the power lines have been blown down, the water supply is at the head of a gorge which has been inundated. I'm off out there on Saturday to try to help, but this is more of a heads up to anybody who might be travelling out there and is unaware of what's happened that you might want to rethink your plans as travel is extremely difficult at the moment.

For those of you who can understand a bit of Italian here's a news report, even if you can't understand, the pictures make it pretty clear...

https://www.facebook.com/tgrveneto/videos/1155560224612803/?__tn__=kCH-R&am...

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/veneto/video/2018/10/ven-maltempo-volo-Agordino-...

Post edited at 14:58
 jon 01 Nov 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

Oh that's impressive. Hope your place is OK.

OP beardy mike 01 Nov 2018
In reply to jon:

Not so bad really - few holes in the roof and a missing chimney pot. I think we faired pretty well by comparison to some. The forest opposite our house has been reduced to matchsticks. Pretty mindboggling... I never even knew you could have a hurricane in Italy!

Rog Wilko 01 Nov 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

> Not so bad really - few holes in the roof and a missing chimney pot. I think we faired pretty well by comparison to some. The forest opposite our house has been reduced to matchsticks. Pretty mindboggling... I never even knew you could have a hurricane in Italy!

That's climate change for you. You ain't seen nothing yet.

OP beardy mike 01 Nov 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Apparently not a new phenomenon and happens quite regularly. The 25mm per day glacier retreat last summer was a better indicator though...

OP beardy mike 11 Nov 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

Thought I'd follow up on this now that I'm back in the UK as there is very little in the UK press about what happened in Italy.

So basically on the night of 28/29th October there was a hurricane over the Dolomites. The highest winds were centred over Marmolada with speeds of up to 200kmh. It was a catagory 4 storm which has caused huge damage to both infrastructure and the environment in the area. In just the area affected in Trentino, 1.2 million m squared of forest was felled in just a few hours.

Over the province border in Val Pettorina and Alto/Media Agordino, where my house is, there was an equal amount of damage to the forests. Furthermore a huge amount of damage occured due to water, and debris washed down from the mountain.

The worst happened at Palue which is a small hamlet of old Finile barns made of larch, and beautiful buildings. There material dug out by ENEL, the then national electricity provider, to produce a hydroelectric scheme was washed down the mountain by a deluge of water. People had been complaining about the dumping of this material for 50 years saying one day it would come down. Well it has, in a way unimaginable.

I was helping to excavate one of the barns, on the first floor balcony which is a goot 20 feet above the river bed. Opposite us another barn had rock debris on its roof and you could clearly see where the water had washed some of it off. The amount of material was prodigious and the army and rescue as of today are still digging houses out.

On another day I was working to clear a subterranean garage which was a good foot and a half deep in mud and silt, entered through a closed garage door. The well to the front of the house was even more full. The owners daughter had been there alone and feared that she would die and hid for the whole night on the third floor. Luckily the building survived.

There are pictures from the next day showing the valley floor which effectively became a river. Higher up the fantastic Sol e Nef apartments were devestated, again flooded by the river defenses (a good 15 feet high) being overwhelmed. At this moment I don't know if the owners will be able to open this season at all as structural damage was sustained.

Anyway, I've gone on a bit. As a climbing community I would be really grateful if we could show the valley our support - they need clients on an ongoing basis to help them survive this difficult time. If you are looking to go away for a winter holiday, please consider visiting the area - life is incredibly uncertain for them at the moment. A large part of the population is without running water as the main source which was transported through the fantastic Serrai di Sottoguda was damaged beyond repair. They are working full tilt to install a new more secure supply.

So, if you want a skiing holiday or to go ice climbing, book in. Flights to Venice are cheap at that time of year, the skiing is great as you have several resorts to choose from, the ice climbing is really varied and excellent. Access to the gorge may be difficult this year, but other areas are available too, and we are lobbying to have feed pipes installed in the new access pipes to feed the icefalls.

Take a look at the photos in the links below for a bit more information.

https://www.facebook.com/matteo.nesello/media_set?set=a.10156854665434207&a...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOCZW_bMVMNY1L_fCsVqX_JgcVxcVCPF9zzpq7...

Most of all, if you do visit, use the local shops, restaurants and B&B's or Hotels, spend your money with them and help them to come back from this difficult time - it will make a world of difference to them!

Post edited at 21:42
 jon 12 Nov 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

It's amazing how little coverage there's been of this (in France anyway). I've only seen one shortish news segment dedicated to it.

OP beardy mike 12 Nov 2018
In reply to jon:

Even the Italian news has gone back to business as usual. As they say, yesterday's news is today's chip paper.

Here's Val Disdende which was also badly affected:

https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/videos/val-visdende-veneto-ne-ital...

Here's some of the Italian news clips - don't know how your Italian is

youtube.com/watch?v=LPyOvSHv9SU&

youtube.com/watch?v=HCzduJ0VerU&

Phil1919 12 Nov 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

I think we are getting anesthetized to damage done to the environment and just carrying on as normal.

In reply to Phil1919:

We seem to hear about American hurricanes.

Another example of the rather parochial news reporting; I didn't see anything.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...