UKC

Wall ropes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 23 Nov 2018

Is a "confidence rope" the same as a "wall rope"? If not, what is a wall rope called?

gethin_allen 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

Not as far as I know.

A confidence rope is a rope to be used while walking and scrambling, usually thin and light.

A wall rope by my definition is a tough durable short rope for use indoors where it will get hammered.

danm 23 Nov 2018
In reply to gethin_allen:

Spot on. A walkers confidence rope isn't rated or tested for climbing, and is intended for emergency use. Manufacturers often sell a single strand of one of their twin rope products for this use.

Wall or gym ropes are a single rope with maximum sheath thickness prioritised over the dynamic properties, and without a dry treatment to reduce cost.

pass and peak 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

Everything you need to know about ropes and other gear from the BMC here: Just download relavant booklet!

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-technical-advice-booklets?s=2

Post edited at 07:53
OP Postmanpat 24 Nov 2018
In reply to pass and peak:

Thanks. The curious thing is I cannot find anything called a "wall rope" on any websites. The only 30-40m ropes listed are "confidence ropes" which was why I asked.

johncook 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

Try Alpine trek and go outdoors. They both sell Beal wall ropes at good prices.

PaulW 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

Something like Wall Cruiser might give you a clue.

https://www.urbanrock.com/beal-wall-cruiser-9.6mm-30m/

ogreville 24 Nov 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

I guess the manufacturers dont want to brand them as a “wall rope” as they might be doing themselves out of business from people who are looking for a 30/40 for outdoor use too.

People tend to gravitate towards ropes and other products called stuff like “mont blanc terror extreme rope”, not “once a month down the wall 30m climbing rope”.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...