UKC

Gear Advice - Mountaineering in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ClimbingJson 27 Jan 2019

Hello,

I'm taking a 2 day mounteneering course mid febuary in Scotland and was wondering if people do fine hiking in Scotland in winter with just a base-layer and normal trousers (as opposed to winter-lined ones) or if I should look at buying some winter-lined ones.

Thanks, Jason.

nniff 27 Jan 2019
In reply to ClimbingJson:

I just wear a pair of winter running tights from Decathlon and a pair of thin windproof Rab  softshell trousers.  Works for me.   The former are about £20 or so

Sharp 28 Jan 2019

Conditions change a lot in Scotland, I've had cold legs in wooly long johns and winter salopettes and I've been hot in summer weight walking trousers. What the conditions will be like in a few weeks time is anyones guess but that will determine whats going to work best. If by winter lined ones you mean the kind of insulated ski-pants you get then that's very rarely appropriate for Scottish winter. As nniff said, a pair of leggings or long johns and simple wproofs will do for most days.

kwoods 28 Jan 2019

I'd agree with above. Fleece lined anything is rarely needed. Leggings under trousers works well for winter, or salopettes over the to if it gets bad.

ben b 28 Jan 2019

Sitting and standing on mountaineering courses generally means waterproof trousers at some stage. But as may others suggest, thin thermals or tights under anything in the 'soft shell" category or similar usually fine. Mountain Equipment Ultrafleece was always a good choice IMO - thin, warm, breathable, windproof, not too expensive etc. 

b

Guy Hurst 28 Jan 2019

Decathlon do some good winter softshell trousers which are bushed on the inside to give a bit of warmth, but not too much. They can be worn with long johns on really cold days, or with over trousers as well if it gets really Scottish. As a bonus, they're cheap.

Lornajkelly 28 Jan 2019

I tend to hike in the winter in softshell trousers.  But courses tend to have a lot of standing around, so make sure it's breathable/wicking for when you're on the move and warm for when you're not.  Also consider an insulated midlayer (I have a montane prism that was just perfect for this) for when you're standing around having things pointed out or demonstrated to you.  

ClimbingJson 28 Jan 2019

Thanks, thats put me at ease. I can sort out some fairly inexpensive thermal/tights from decathlon.

Does anyone else find that thermal leggings don't seem to be shaped to fit human legs?

Pbob 28 Jan 2019

My advice would be lots of thin layers are better than fewer thick ones. More flexibility and probably cheaper.

ClimbingJson 19 Feb 2019

Went the weekend just gone. There wasn't much snow but it was very windy. Did fine in just a cheapo pair of long johns/top from Sports direct and Kiwi classic trousers, with gaiters and cheap peter storm waterproof over trousers.

jethro kiernan 19 Feb 2019

I keep a pair of thick thermals and thin thermals You can then choose on the day depending on weather and planned activity worn either under soft shell or hybrid waterproofs, both were got off sportpursuit, decathlon should see you right though.

if it’s really cold and I’m expecting to stand around a lot I do have a power stretch pair but rarely use these as I run quite warm.

be aware a lined trouser might not work so well with a pair of thermals it could restrict your movement slightly and if you apply the principal of marginal gains to a big Scottish day out probably best avoided.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...