UKC

Scarpa returns problem in El Chorro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbpsyched 31 Mar 2019

I'm looking for some advice. I bought a pair of Scarpa shoes from a climbing shop in El Chorro. After a week of owning them one of the shoes fell apart. The whole tongue detached. I returned them to the shop with proof of purchase hoping to exchange them or get a credit note. In the UK I've had no issues doing this.

The shop owner was not interested in helping. His words were I wish I could help you but if I send them back to Scarpa I'll loose money and Scarpa will simply return them to me.
Now that seems a bit odd to me. I tried to chat more to him but he didn't want to help. 
I paid 120 Euros for them so I'm keen to get them replaced. 
Does anyone know if the shop has a responsibility to do more? In the UK I think they do but unsure about Spain. 

Cheers. 

Emilio Bachini 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Climbpsyched:

Get in touch, they’re a nice bunch of people.

https://www.mountainboot.co.uk/

From experience Scarpa customer service is top notch, as Emilio said get in touch directly and they will definitely get this sorted. 

wbo 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Climbpsyched: I think the shop in Spain should definitely have done more.

But I'd likely contact Scarpa direct, not their UK distributor. 

Frank R. 01 Apr 2019

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns...

These are your customer rights in Spain (broadly governed by the whole EU rights).

Simply (as in most EU countries), during the first six months after purchase, the burden of proof is more on the seller, and the customer protection is pretty high.

You should be well protected but you should have asked the shop for written refusal. It is your right. Without knowing the specifics, I think the manager was just gambling that you might not be bothered to go through the official procedure.

However, since you are back in the UK now, I would contact Scarpa directly, even though it's the responsibility of the shop you bought it from. I have had good results from other respectable brands that way. And if even that does not work - send them back to the shop, with a letter, by registered mail. They still have the legal responsibility to respond to any guarantee claim pretty quickly.

Alas, how Brexit comes into it, I have no idea... (although I guess the customer protection is dependant on purchase in EU country, not on the nationality of the purchaser)

Post edited at 10:09
Climbpsyched 01 Apr 2019

Hi, thank you for all the responses! 

After posting on here to see what people's thoughts were I left the shop a review online. This seemed to get a reaction from the shop and we had a European style face to face argument. It seemed like who  makes the most noise wins. After we settled down and got a few emails from Spain distributer for Scarpa, the shop accepted that it was up to them to atleast try and help. 

They are to be sent back to Italy which is comical as to me it's clearly a manufacturing fault having fallen apart quickly. Now this is a trivial first world problem but worth noting that atleast in Spain, Scarpa don't seem interested in replacing my shoes. For me that means I won't be buying their products again which is a shame as I liked their products. 

I should be clearer when I say Scarpa don't want to replace my shoes what I mean is they are to be posted back to Italy to be repaired, leaving me without shoes and then I guess they will return them. 

Cheers again for the responses. 

Post edited at 13:42
 Wiley Coyote2 02 Apr 2019

God but I hate that phrase 'first world problem'. Just because people in other parts of the world have it much tougher than us and we are  not starving or being bombed does not mean our problems do not merit attention - unless of course this shop keeper could not replace your  faulty shoes because he was too busy negotiating peace in Sudan, in which case I stand corrected.

It's as fatuous as when you did not eat your school dinner and some sanctimonious teacher would say 'Starving children in Africa would be glad of that'. Even at the age of six I could work out that it made no difference to anyone in Africa whether I ate my dinner in Yorkshire or not.

Climbpsyched 02 Apr 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Damn you were ahead of the game aged 6! 

Wiley Coyote2 02 Apr 2019

> Damn you were ahead of the game aged 6! 

Yorkshire. Born stroppy. What can I say?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...