UKC

Tubeless mtb tyres?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 21 Apr 2019

Looking for a bit of advice.....fairly new to mountain biking but im an experienced roadie.....

Im running Ardent Maxis 29rs but im so sick of punctures....it really is becoming a pain and the bead is so tight theres no way I could repair it when out (taking me to heat it up to pop the final bit over the rim..

Can anyone advise me about tubeless....ive never ever used tubeless and don't know where to start!

Thanks for any guidance...

Ben07 21 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

You just need a valve, gorilla tape and sealant.  

I use a sealant called oko, youycan buy it by of amazon, its about 1/5 of the porice of MTB specific stuff.

There s loads of'  ideos on you tube.

its worth the  faff of doing it!

stewart murray 21 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Numerous youtube videos explaining this eg https://www.mbr.co.uk/how-to-2/how-to-tubeless-351341

Planet X are selling tubeless tape, valves and sealant cheap just now

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSJOBTRT1/jobsworth-tubeless-rim-tape-10-metr...

Chapstick 21 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I’ve just replaced a tyre on my mountain bike, I bought it with tubeless tyres. I had a slash on the side wall, that the sealant couldn’t plug. That’s the first time I’ve known of a puncture in 2 years of riding it,  So I highly recommend going tubeless. I had to buy a pump especially for seating the tyres on the rim You’ll need one of these or a compressor. I used gorilla tape to seal the rim and stans sealant.  I also bought a syringe that fits the valve, that way you can seat the tyre first then put the sealant in. 

Once i’d Pumped it up I was getting air leaking through the spokes but managed to get it to seal by shaking the wheel around until the Sealant plugged it up.  It’s pretty simple and well worth doing, there’s loads of YouTube videos to help too

Monk 21 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

If your rims are tubeless ready, then do it. So much better. Gorilla tape is great for sealing rims. I use Stan's sealant and valves and they work great for me (not tried any other sealant as I got a good deal on a vat of stan's and havn't used it all yet). The two biggest things that helped me were an airshot inflator (expensive but worth it for me) and bubble mixture (soapy water will do, but I have small kids with a seemingly endless supply of bubble mixture lying about). Online videos will tell you all you need to know. If you don't like wrestling tyres and swearing, your local bike shop will sort you out fairly cheaply. 

thepodge 22 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I think my local bike shop did mine for about £15 per wheel, saved loads of faffing about. 

Tallie 22 Apr 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Definately worth it - one of the cheapest upgrades you can do to a bike.

If you don't want to buy a compressor or airshot you can make you own homemade version as detailed here:  youtube.com/watch?v=EtmatxJG_zg&

Mine's been working for nearly 10 years although I do keep meaning to replace the pop bottle...

On the bead point very few (none ime) are genuinely that tight once they've been fitted a while - the trick is to create slack by unseating the rest of the bead and moving it in to the centre of the rim which is normally a smaller diameter.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...