UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Friction Labs Secret Stuff + AF

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 19 Sep 2019
Friction Labs Secret Stuff is FrictionLabs answer to liquid chalk. Rub a small amount on your hands, let dry, and a perfect layer of the highest purity Magnesium Carbonate magically appears. Also, new for 2019, we have introduced our newest liquid chalk innovation—Alcohol Free Secret Stuff

Read more
 snoop6060 20 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

Secret Stuff! Haha just when you thought their chalk couldn't get any more rediculous. Hey, want a tiny bag of chalk for £14? It's unicorn dust! Oh aye.

Edit: unicorn dust is 20 quid! Christ. 

Post edited at 07:50
In reply to snoop6060:

I feel your pain. 

Things like this leave me in a contradictory state. Half of me is in despair, the other half is thinking "if consumers are that daft, get on the horse, you may as well make a few quid". 

I am thinking of adding a serial dilution of saline dihydrogenoxide to my chalk product to improve its drying properties.

Sounds good doesn't it? 

How about Saharan Hand Candy as a brand name? 

In reply to snoop6060:

A whole load of people expressed their cynicism when I published the review a few years back, most of which I'd forgotten about until a month or two ago when I bumped into Stu Littlefair at Griff's Buttress.

Stu had been trying an 8B there for ages, and I'd seen him fall off the last move countless times (mostly because I wasn't counting). It was pretty clear he was frustrated, mostly because it was apparent that he could do it - he just hadn't done it. A load of chat later and I suggested using some of my chalk, which was indeed Friction Labs Chalk, and he did it next go. I'm not sure how much he'd spent on fuel getting to the crag, but I'm pretty sure that he'd have saved himself a lot of money (if indeed money saving is what it's all about, which I think it's fair to say it isn't) if he'd bought some a month or so previously.

Clearly I wouldn't recommend it for general-purpose use, but if you're projecting at sport or bouldering I think £20 (or whatever it is) is a price many people would be willing to pay if it gets them up whatever it is they're trying.

In reply to Presley Whippet:

It's already been done by Metolius, who include a drying agent within their 'Superchalk'. There is an issue with its inclusion though, as prolonged use tends to lead to poor skin condition + cracking - especially for those who suffer from dry skin. 

Post edited at 08:52
 Jon Read 20 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why is chalk still white? Given all the access issues around the world, isn't it time we switched to something less visually polluting?*

* I realise there are likely environmental issues with dyes, but white chalk is already effective at removing lichens. 

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Oh dear

Arms Cliff 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I don’t know if it’s just an expensive placebo but if it is, it’s one of the most consistently effective placebos I’ve used! 

In reply to Presley Whippet:

> I feel your pain. 

> Things like this leave me in a contradictory state. Half of me is in despair, the other half is thinking "if consumers are that daft, get on the horse, you may as well make a few quid". 

> I am thinking of adding a serial dilution of saline dihydrogenoxide to my chalk product to improve its drying properties.

> Sounds good doesn't it? 

> How about Saharan Hand Candy as a brand name? 

I think "Send Powder" might catch the ear of those climbing types.

or what about

"Top out Talc" 

or

"Monkey Dust" - probably real

TWS

Ian W 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

A few years ago, chalk was available in different colours (yellow, blue, green etc). It didnt last long......

I also got a sample from somewhere of some flavoured chalk. Yup, someone was adding cinnamon to climbing chalk. Nice smell, but shall we say it was a just a gimmick that didn't really work.......

jimtitt 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Ian W:

I was given some maybe ten years ago to try from a US company that had clove oil in it. Made it stick on better but stunk the whole cliff out. Vile.

jezb1 20 Sep 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

> Why is chalk still white? Given all the access issues around the world, isn't it time we switched to something less visually polluting?*

I used some eco chalk by Metolius (I think) some years ago, colourless stuff. It was crap!

Keith C 20 Sep 2019

Snoop have you actually used any? If not and you try to climb at your limit on small holds I recommend cos rob's right. Unless you use a ridiculous amount of chalk the difference in cost per session is trivial. I do agree it's a silly name and obviously if it was cheaper that would be great!

In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Tipping my hat to Harry Enfield, how about

"I saw you coming" 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...