UKC

Night Vision Camera Traps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MeMeMe 18 Nov 2019

A bit random but...

Does anyone know anything about night vision camera traps?

Our 5 year old is really interested in wildlife and we thought it might be interesting to set something up in the woods overnight and see what we get (if anything!). Just a bit unsure what to get.

We don't want to spend loads of money, it's not exactly for professional purposes but on the other hand we don't want something that's too shit to actually work effectively.

Anyone got any expertise?

ChrisBrooke 18 Nov 2019
In reply to MeMeMe:

I don't have any expertise, but I do have a night vision wildlife camera (£35 from Amazon) for monitoring the badgers in my garden. Simple to use, reasonable nighttime capabilities, reasonable image quality and quite fun when you see the little bastards moving about.

cb294 18 Nov 2019
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Yes, anything in that price range will have image quality, motion triggering, and storage space far better than anything you could buy for thousands of quid only ten years ago,

CB

mrphilipoldham 18 Nov 2019
In reply to MeMeMe:

If you’re any good with computers (or not!) you can get the components and make such a thing with a Raspberry Pi. Might be a nice little project for you both. 5 might be a bit young but you’ll enjoy it! 

OP MeMeMe 19 Nov 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I'd thought of that but I know it would only end with me getting annoyed with the kids for distracting me from what's turned into my project!

Moley 19 Nov 2019
In reply to MeMeMe:

No need to spend much to get perfectly ok results, especially for a youngster. Looking at makes and models it is a minefield of information to sift through and many of the functions irrelevant, at this stage.

My first camera about 3 years ago was a Bushnell, about £200, sent 2 back as faulty and current one never been right (now drains batteries down fast). Have used cheap ones at about £70 supplied by wildlife trust - absolutely fine and currently a Browning (a more expensive model) from them, also very good and simple to operate.

You pay more for slightly faster shutter speeds, image quality etc. none of which a child needs. Sometimes in Lidl/Aldi and believe these work well, I would look for a cheaper camera, certainly no more than £70 and possibly much less. You will have plenty of fun with it, last couple of nights I've had a polecat in the garden.

Simon Pelly 19 Nov 2019
In reply to MeMeMe:

Can recommend CamPark T45 Trail Camera

Used to capture videos of animals (badgers mainly) in back garden and take on various holiday trips, e.g. Lundy

Good quality night pictures. Menu system is a bit quirky but having a built in screen is handy as do not have to transfer SD card to view on laptop or similar.

Simon...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...