UKC

Hampi bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve_westy 05 Dec 2019

Hi guys 

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for accommodation in Hampi. 4 of us are heading out in jan and we where going to try and book Goan corner but it appears to be shut so looking for other alternatives. 

Also is crash pad hire easy or is it better to take your own? 

cheers 

steve 

Lizard Ollie 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Steve_westy:

I was there in 2018, amazing bouldering and such a cool setting!

Depending on how much of an organised person you are, you might benefit from just turning up and finding somewhere to stay. I'd even go and check the Goan corner in person. I tried to book before going but had no luck and when I turned up there was space for me in one of the huts when I asked. If the Goan corner isn't open (a shame as it's really good and super close to the boulders) maybe have a look at Baba Cafe. I didn't stay there myself but I was nearby while trying Kurt's Mantle (f6B) which is right next door. The main areas are probably a 5-10 minute walk from here. I don't know if they have pads for rent but they will do in the main town area. There were 2 shops when I was there but the place seemed to be developing fast.

Take lots of tape as the granite is ultra sharp and climb smart. Don't go all out on day one and de-glove your hands. Eat lots of food, visit the temples, hire scooters and explore the area and enjoy!

Any more questions, ask away and I can try and help!

Ollie

OP Steve_westy 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Lizard Ollie:

Cheers Ollie. 

sadly it appears Goan corner is shut, I’ve tried contacting them and had zero response. Plus I think lots of stuff on Hampi island is shutting down unfortunately. Have seen baba cafe so maybe will see about getting in there. 

Ive read about the granite and got some plans for easing into the climbing so hopefully won’t destroy myself to quickly as out there for nearly three weeks so wood hate cut a good trip short early. 

Scooters and temples is def a fun rest day activity so can’t wait. 

Out of interest did you fly to Bangalore or Goa and did you book a sleeper train over to hospet?

Lizard Ollie 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Steve_westy:

I was working in another part of the country and stopped off for a week before heading home. On the way there I took a train from Bangalore to Hospet and I tried waiting until morning for the bus to Hampi but I kept getting woken up by some very insistent tuk tuk drivers, so I eventually caved and went with them. On the way back I took the bus from Hospet to Bangalore. I think overall the bus was the nicer option. 

I would recommend picking up an Indian sim card while you're there. A few of the bus and train operators don't let you book direct to them without an Indian number, meaning you have to go to an agency and thus pay a lot more. People are generally pretty friendly so don't be scared to ask for help. If it's your first time to the country prepare for sensory overload - it can be pretty overwhelming coming from somewhere like the UK! You'll ease in after a bit though

OP Steve_westy 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Lizard Ollie:

Cheers Ollie

Alex Riley 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Steve_westy:

Trains can be a fun and memorable experience, but do take care with security, especially at night in lower class cars where randoms can walk in and off. (Even more so if you are a mixed group)

Post edited at 18:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...