UKC

Running windproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 20 Dec 2019

What do you use as a windproof/ shower proof layer when running? I'm looking at paramo windproofs, as I get on very well with their other kit. Just wondering if I am missing a gem by going for my default option?

afx22 20 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I have a few.  My favourite is the Arcteryx Incendo.  It’s super breathable.  The fit is a bit tight across the chest (for me) but the breathability is such a big benefit.

bouldery bits 20 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Patagonia Houdini. I've got an old one that they don't seem to do anymore but the closest thing now seems to be called the 'Houdini snap T'. 

I really rate the fabric - the durability has been very impressive. 

Fiona Reid 20 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I have a super light Montane windproof that I wear when it's cold.  It squashes up in to a tennis ball sized bag. It's not remotely waterproof but keeps the worst of the wind out and has a pocket that I can shove my mp3 player in.

I got it 5 or 6 years back, the modern featherlite windproof that Montane do looks fairly similar. 

wbo2 20 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey: an Adidas running jacket.  For everyday training miles better than stuff from the more mountain orientated brands.  Not too tight, long enough, built for durability over light weight

Dell 21 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Paramo Fuera is my go to for wind/cold, or if it's a bit wet, Montane featherlite.

As mentioned not fully waterproof but if your moving and getting warm, it won't be as much of a problem. But the pertex-ey jackets can be sweaty if you run hot.

Also check out the Rab Vital 

gooberman-hill 21 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've got a lovely Marmot top - pertex with a very light micropile liner. I wouldn't trade it for anything - I leant it to a mate for the Spine and he wore it end to end!

Steve

dr_botnik 21 Dec 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

I'd second the marmot top, I've had several of their "driclime" tops over the years, they're light enough for running in, super breathable (like a really lightweight buffalo) and stand up to a shower and cheaper than other variants. Some versions have hoods too (useful) and they pack down into their own pocket so work well as an emergency layer when climbing mountains or sea cliffs in the summer

OP girlymonkey 21 Dec 2019
In reply to gooberman-hill:

I don't feel I want a pile lining. I think I just want a windshell and I can add insulation separately if needed.

In reply to afx22:

I have no chest to speak of, so that won't be a problem! Lol!

It's probably out of my price bracket unless I find it in post Christmas sales! I will keep an eye out though.

Doug 21 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Back when I could still run I had a couple of thin Pertex tops which were windproof but not waterproof, but as they were not waterproof they breathed very well so were good for running. A knackered knee means I can no longer run much but have a Montane top much like that described by Fiona which I frequently wear for XC skiing over a lightweight fleecy shirt

In reply to bouldery bits:

Another one to keep an eye out for in post Christmas sales!

In reply to Fiona Reid:

Does it have a fleecy type lining all over? Not sure I want that, but I do like the thumb loops and stretch fabric

In reply to Dell:

The paramo that I was eyeing up (if I can get it in the sales!) is the Alize, not sure how that compares to the Fuera in terms of warmth and water resistance. I got the impression it's a bit lighter, but not actually had my hands on it yet to be sure. I liked the venting options on it.

In reply to dr_botnik:

That's exactly the one. It is like a super lightweight Buffalo. I've used it myself on wet nights out on a few ultras and it is perfect.

Steve

In reply to girlymonkey:

It's a very very thin liner - much thinner than a fleece. 

SFM 22 Dec 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Have a look at Decathlon, I have one for cycling that has been surprising exceptional for the price. Their stuff can be a bit oddly sized however.

Alternatively - OMM sonic jacket. Weighs something daft like 65g, breathes pretty well, dries v well and so far decent durability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...