UKC

Setting up as independent climbing instructors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 29 Jan 2020

Can anyone point me to a good source of information regarding the current requirements/advice for setting up an independent climbing guiding/instructing company? (As opposed to working for existing companies under their insurance and using their kit). I've done some preliminary searches which yielded nothing very useful. An up-to-date list of the normal insurance and licensing requirements and some idea of annual costs would be very helpful. I used to have an idea, but that was years ago, and I'm sure things have changed. Many thanks

Ian W 29 Jan 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

http://www.rockclimbingcompany.co.uk/Technical-Information/Climbing_Instruc...

https://www.mountain-training.org/membership/ami

www.thebmc.co.uk

Insurance costs can be obtained from insurance companies.

Kit costs - well, its up to you how much of what you buy, and is very activity specific.

OP bpmclimb 29 Jan 2020
In reply to Ian W:

> Kit costs - well, its up to you how much of what you buy, and is very activity specific.

Thanks for the links.

Re costs: I was thinking more about insurance/licensing; I have a fairly good idea of cost of the basic group kit for what I expect to be doing.

(I'm already qualified, and have been instructing part-time for various companies for many years - just getting an idea of viability of running my own company, when I won't be a full-timer).

Post edited at 18:01
 richprideaux 29 Jan 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

The sort of people who would know such things are likely to be potential competition.

They may not be forthcoming with help...

jezb1 29 Jan 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Insurance: Depends on turnover, employers liability etc. Easy to get a quote online or if you're an MTA or AMI member you can go through their deal.

Licensing: >18's N/A, <18's / vulnerable adults AALA which I think is about £750.

OP bpmclimb 29 Jan 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks, that's helpful 

OP bpmclimb 29 Jan 2020
In reply to richprideaux:

> The sort of people who would know such things are likely to be potential competition.

> They may not be forthcoming with help...

True, they may not. But then again, they may be a little more generous-spirited than that. I've helped a number of trainee instructors over the years in various ways, despite the likelihood of them becoming "competition" (and a much larger number of fledgling professional musicians). I for one prefer not to think that way - and I don't regard myself as particularly saintly

summo 29 Jan 2020

> The sort of people who would know such things are likely to be potential competition.

Friendly caring professional instructors constantly pass work to each other, as some have niches, might be double booked, have clients in scotland either side of one in north Wales and can't face driving up and down etc.. 

An isolationist instructor, will probably find they have less work overall and a more lonely time in the industry. 

john arran 29 Jan 2020

And therein lies one of the fundamental flaws with capitalism. If everyone is constantly paranoid about competitors, nobody will share knowledge and advice which may benefit the whole industry. It isn't that competition itself is a bad thing, it's when it gets to the point where people are actively trying to prevent the opposition from doing their best by trying to maintain an unlevel playing field - in this example by restricted access to knowledge.

DaveHK 29 Jan 2020

Zero sum thinking benefits no one.

Mark Eddy 29 Jan 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

You'll find all the info you need re working with under 18's (if that's what you plan to include) here: https://www.hse.gov.uk/aala/

As Jez says, around £750 for a licence, and I think that's for 2 years.

Our insurance premium which includes employers liability and cover in non-Alpine Europe is circa £800 pa. Premiums will vary according to turnover.

Plenty of other business associate costs to consider: Training, kit updates, 1st aid renewal, advertising, web development.....

HTH

D.botts87 29 Jan 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

As mentioned above, get some insurance and kit and away you go. 

I freelance in the outdoors and like many others have a small business too. But I'd say that's quite normal. If you're already qualified, then freelancing works really well, tons of freelancer pages on Facebook.

But it also works to get your reputation around. Having your own insurance a company name and bits of kit can lead to work coming your way as it's a small & friendly industry I've found. 

I'd happily pass on clients to other mates etc 

Might I also add, that if you do set up a small business, find out what the standard day rate and pay yourself more or equal. 

The competition in outdoor work isn't the cost, it's the calibre of Instructor. 

If you go down the route of make it cheaper, that'd be really sad and offensive to all other established businesses.

I am never going to be rich working in the outdoors, but I love it...just not for 80 quid a day as you see advertised. 

Best of luck. 

Dan

lithos 29 Jan 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

im sort of in a similar situation doing little bits of freelance (on other peoples insurance) but now needing my own insurance etc so watching this carefully

AMI cost 90 per year - gives access to their insurance deal

Insurance I had a poke about earlier today as I'd been told roughly 100 quid for indoor only and 200 for outdoor for low turnover (as other have said depends on liability and turnover levels). This online quote (no idea if its a good policy as i was after a first approx idea without phoning about)  https://www.insure4sport.co.uk/quote/options?option=coach#1  is about 160 upwards depending on what you want and covers all sorts of sports (not a recommendation just a ballpark figure to get started) which is sort of in line with what i'd been told. 

add to that business costs, website, publicity accounts etc etc etc of maybe 100 a year

hope that helps 

Jamie Wakeham 29 Jan 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

Just to add to what Jez has said, AALA is not necessary if you're working indoors, or outdoors if parents/guardians are present.

My insurance (within remit RCI only) is £140, from Howden through the MTA (which is only £36 itself). Not a bad deal.

Post edited at 21:23
 Jamie Wakeham 29 Jan 2020
In reply to D.botts87: 

> The competition in outdoor work isn't the cost, it's the calibre of Instructor. 

> If you go down the route of make it cheaper, that'd be really sad and offensive to all other established businesses.

I can't upvote this enough. Winning work by undercutting your competition is nothing but a race to the bottom.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...