UKC

largest bouldering mat for the least money

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Liamhutch89 07 Feb 2020

Where can it be purchased? 

Droyd 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Liamhutch89:

Probably the Alpkit Project, which is significantly cheaper than the obvious competition (e.g. Moon Saturn). I've not used one so can't comment on them properly, but I'd assume that the closure and carrying systems are less fancy than on more expensive models; on the other hand, Alpkit are really good in terms of warranty stuff, and when the outer shell of my small pad (which was three years old) was trashed they replaced it for free.

mrphilipoldham 07 Feb 2020
In reply to Droyd:

Psychi do a tri-fold about the same size but slightly thinner for £40 less.

Post edited at 17:43
 dilatory 07 Feb 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I was dead impressed with the Psychi tri fold when I fell onto one a few times. Great pad for the price. 

ianstevens 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dilatory:

Absolutely hateful to either carry or put into a car mind

mrphilipoldham 07 Feb 2020
In reply to dilatory:

I’ve got the bi-fold and for the price it’s been fantastic. I think the foam is starting to weaken ever so slightly but only after two years of very heavy usage.. the outer is (aside the mud embedded in the baby blue) still in decent condition.

In reply to Liamhutch89:

For size/cost ratio it is hard to beat the Samual Smiths one I got for free from the Blue Bell in 1986.

dilatory 08 Feb 2020

Yeah. I think they go on offer a lot. Two of these and a sit pad and you're sorted. 

Victoriacake 09 Feb 2020

Moon Saturn at £233 at a few places now. Bigger, deeper and better pedigree I would say than other mats mentioned 

OP Liamhutch89 09 Feb 2020

I've ordered the biggest alpkit pad which seems the best value of the 3 mentioned to me.

Aigen 10 Feb 2020
In reply to Liamhutch89:

You should have checked out Ocun Bouldering Mats.

Jim233 11 Feb 2020
In reply to Liamhutch89:

I second Droyd's Alpkit recommendation. Used a project (hired for the occasion from Alpkit) in the Lakes last time we were there without a pad and it's pretty decent. Heavy bugger mind, and the straps aren't as comfortable as Moon's but still managed a 3 mile walk-in with it without any trouble.

Victoriacake 11 Feb 2020
In reply to Aigen:

These do look good but the large pad is not the widest (100cm) and only 10cm thick. The Alpkit does seem like the only viable (cheapest) option compared to the Moon, but seems a bit of a gamble atm (see previous reviews on here).  I’ve had a few Moon pads in the past and the foam hasn’t been great but the rest of the design was excellent (carrying/reverse pad thing/materials) I’m  just hoping that the foam is better this time around. I’ve just ordered the Saturn from Absolute-snow with a 10% discount for £215 so will report back!

Fishmate 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Victoriacake:

Good choice. I've had a dozen trips to Font in the last two years alone and have landed on just about every type of mat. There's a good reason I own the Saturn. I had a spinal op years back. Nothing beats the Saturn, especially from above 5-6m. The Snap large is a good equal. I'd suggest going cheap is a false economy...

Post edited at 23:29
 snoop6060 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Liamhutch89:

I have the massive alpkit one but it's a proper pain in the arse to carry. I've had big pads before (moon Saturn) but this moves about too much on my back. And you better hope it ain't windy. 

Post edited at 09:12
 StevenF 14 Mar 2020

Do you find the double mat is big enough for using on its own? I'm considering one myself and not sure whether to got for the double or triple. 

mrphilipoldham 14 Mar 2020
In reply to StevenF:

Generally yes, though I tend to shy away from anything highball that's above my onsight grade and traverses that are above a few feet. Lower traverses I'll just stick it under what I think is the crux... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...