UKC

Which bindings on Kastle TX98s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Time has come for a new set of planks, decided on the Kastles but not sure which bindings to go for.

Majority of use will be touring, with the odd bit of lift based slack country too. I'd guess about 70% touring, 20% slack and 10% piste usage. 

I'm a fairly competent skier (advanced rather than expert, can ski 40 degree stuff in most conditions without too much drama) and reasonably light for my height (65kg at 6 ft). Can usually knock out 500vm/h really maxing it skinning, more like 350 cruising. Have Maestrale RS boots. 

Would prefer to have brakes than leashes.

Any suggestions appreciated.

damowilk 18 Feb 2020
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Lots of good options nowadays, though it’s often advised not to get a fairly new to market binding, let it have a few seasons to iron out issues.

I have a pretty close match to you for usage, ski level, and build (ok, I am 5kg heavier.) I’ve got a bit of a varied quiver of skis and bindings, and have used a few additional bindings. My go to, and probably strongest recommendation would probably be the G3 ion: a good, strong tech binding, one of the strongest toe springs there is. It doesn’t have the rotational movement or longitudinal play that some of the newer options do, though how much real world benefit this gives is uncertain. It’s very easy to get into compared with some other tech options. 

My other bindings are probably less suitable for you: the shift is great for slack country and shorter tours, but it’s heavy. I also have Kreutzspitze GTs on a light pair of skis for longer tours and ski mountaineering, but there is a trade off in how hard you can ski them.

I’m sure more informed opinions will follow mine.

vscott 18 Feb 2020
In reply to Carless:

recommend as above...

Re brakes, there's a general choice between 'automatic' - click up when stamp heel in tour mode - e.g. G3 ion, or '(semi)-manual' systems - have a lever sequence to stow e.g. ATK, backland.

Worth having a play and seeing what you get on with - 'automatic' tend to be on slightly weightier bindings but can transition a little bit easier. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...