UKC

Barcelona coronavirus options

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Aisthorpe 14 Mar 2020

I'm currently in Barcelona and was planning on climbing in Margalef this week but rumour is that all climbing is banned around there. Anyone know a good option for climbing that is still open within a few hours drive? 

Thanks

john arran 14 Mar 2020
In reply to John Aisthorpe:

No idea about Spanish crags right now but we're still climbing happily here in Ariège, which is right on the limit of your "few hours drive" from Barcelona.

kevin stephens 14 Mar 2020

It looks like things are getting worse in Spain. Jet 2 have just cancelled all flights to/from mainland Spain even turning flights around mid air. Your options may be greatly reduced

1poundSOCKS 14 Mar 2020

Climbing is banned in Margalef and Siurana. I was due to fly out on Jet2 tomorrow, but obviously not going now.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Mar 2020

I was climbing at Montserrat South a couple of days ago - no issues then, though I don't know about now,

Chris

elsewhere 14 Mar 2020

This was just scrolling across the bottom of BBC News 24

Coronavirus: Spain set to declare national lockdown

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51888936

The Spanish government is poised to declare a 15-day national lockdown on Monday to battle coronavirus.

Under the decree being finalised, people would be allowed out only for emergencies, to buy food, or for work.

Post edited at 16:51
 Garry Lister 14 Mar 2020
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

please can you elaborate?! Where did you hear this... we’re going to Siurana via easyjet next week. Who said you can’t climb?

Post edited at 22:13
 1poundSOCKS 14 Mar 2020
In reply to Garry Lister:

A friend camping in Margalef told me. He got the info from the refugi I think, which is run by local climbers. I guess to stop people travelling there and increasing the risk to the local population. Some other friends on a long trip have cut it short and left Siurana now.

In reply to Garry Lister: goodness! Don’t you watch or listen to the news?

profitofdoom 14 Mar 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

> It looks like things are getting worse in Spain. Jet 2 have just cancelled all flights to/from mainland Spain even turning flights around mid air. Your options may be greatly reduced

Exactly right folks and my counsel is - be careful. I'm currently in South Korea and [1] my airline from here back to London has cancelled all flights to London for the next 6 weeks. Could be extended of course. [2] Yesterday, my alternate (back-up) return airline cancelled all flights to and from South Korea with no word of how long that will last

Think carefully folks. Thanks for listening

All "dangerous" activities/sports have been banned and traveling in Spain is becoming more difficult by the second but things are pretty unclear. It's becoming less and less likely I will be leaving Barcalona even to get home to the uk. See mgeek's thread "Margalef Coronavirus". I wouldn't advise a trip to Spain in the near future, if you can even get here!

Post edited at 23:10
 Donotello 14 Mar 2020

Anyone know how connected to all this Mallorca is at the moment??

In reply to Donotello:I suggest you watch the news! Then make other plans

bandit12 15 Mar 2020

Just to confirm what others have said climbing is banned in Spain, Police visited Siurana crags yesterday and told people that no more climbing from today. Campsites shut, beaches shut, restaurants etc. I'm sure you could find a quiet crag and climb somewhere but in my opinion not worth the risk, I imagine the authorities would come down pretty harsh if you get caught. We're heading north into France today before the main lockdown starts, or France closes it's border. At least we can get to the ferry ports then, assuming there still running!

Donotello 15 Mar 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

who said I had plans? I was just curious. 

im on trial atm can’t go anywhere till May and I’m quite thankful as everyone I know seems to have some sort of climbing world tour booked for March 2020!

Post edited at 09:05
 99ster 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Garry Lister:

> please can you elaborate?! Where did you hear this... we’re going to Siurana via easyjet next week. Who said you can’t climb?

Seriously, have you been living in cave for the last month?

Red Rover 15 Mar 2020

UK Gov now adises against all but essential travel to the whole of spain https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...