UKC

Roraima 1974: Brown, Whillans, Antoine, MacInnes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EddieA 16 Apr 2020

A BBC documentary on the first ascent of Roraima (inspiration for Conan-Doyle's "lost world".) 

I came across this on Youtube, noticed it didn't have many views there and didn't appear to be in the 'historical' videos section here, so thought I'd post the link for those interested in that kind of thing:

youtube.com/watch?v=ei3sKArFXf4&

Mo Antoine, when asked what he thought of the climb:  "I'd rather descale a boiler in Sheffield".  

Eddie

Tim Sparrow 16 Apr 2020
In reply to EddieA:

Got the book somewhere. Now for the film, 46 yrs on!

In reply to EddieA:

What an interesting and enjoyable documentary, historically important too in having Joe and Don and Hamish all together in the one film. But perhaps the greatest thing is that there is all that footage of the larger-than-life great climbing character, Mo Anthoine, who died so tragically at the age of just 50.

OP EddieA 16 Apr 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Apologies for misspelling Anthoine in the title of this thread - not something I can edit, unfortunately.

leland stamper 16 Apr 2020
In reply to EddieA:

Just watched this and last years Red Bull Roraima for a bit of contrast. Some things change!

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/films/roraima

Sherlock 16 Apr 2020
In reply to EddieA:

I haven't seen the film or read the book but a near neighbour of mine was also on that trip.

He was knowledgeable, funny and kind with many great stories of Scottish climbing. He died last year. 

leland stamper 16 Apr 2020
In reply to EddieA:

Given the sad news there are some great moments of Joe's understated attitude to climbing. Welling up now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...