UKC

B&Q website at the moment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oceanrower 22 Apr 2020

Bizarre. B&Q appear to be operating a social distancing policy online. Having ordered something from them for click and collect, they've unanimously decided to deliver it instead.

It's not worth the £5 delivery charge so tried to call the number given on the order form to cancel it. Not available but a message saying "Please see the FAQ on the website."

Now this is where it gets odd. The opening page of the website states "We are using a queue to limit the number of customers using the website at the same time. When it's your turn, you will have 10 minutes to start your visit. Once on the site, you'll have as long as you need." And I was given a waiting time of over an hour!

I can understand limiting the number of people into a store as many retailers have done but the number of people on a website? I absolutely refuse to believe they're that busy they're in danger of crashing the server!

Post edited at 11:22
andrew breckill 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

I lol'd when i went on website, they are all doing it BTW.

LastBoyScout 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Next are apparently doing the same.

gravy 22 Apr 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

The B+Q website was always a car crash but since the shutdown it's unusable - just don't bother for the sake of your sanity.

Wickes works - it's a bit 1980s and a bit slow but it does actually work and their system does actually work.

marsbar 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Its not to limit the number on the website it's to limit the number of purchases to the number they can pack and deliver.  It's not just B and Q. 

john arran 22 Apr 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> Its not to limit the number on the website it's to limit the number of purchases to the number they can pack and deliver.  It's not just B and Q. 

... in which case surely a better plan would be a simple message on entering the site to the effect of there being delays once an order has been received, along with a rough idea of how long may be expected. No wait for website use needed and shoppers don't get a shock when the delivery time is announced after the order is finalised.

Rigid Raider 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

I used Screwfix to buy a WC pan connector a couple of weeks ago and it couldn't have worked better. I placed the order then drove down on empty roads where I collected it from a table set up in the doorway and was home in 15 minutes. No need to go inside and thumb though those sticky plastic catalogues.

Swirly 22 Apr 2020
In reply to gravy:

Wickes was fine until I'd paid. 5 minutes later I got an email saying they couldn't deliver in the next 4 weeks, so I would be refunded in the next 4 days.

Blue Straggler 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I will second the Screwfix experience. Website is slick and very up-to-date on stock (I have been trying to source a paint roller and tray, it seems that the whole nation is turning into a big episode of Changing Rooms! My local one was out of stock, there were two in stock in the next nearest one yesterday, and they have now also gone, so I am going further afield - justifiable as I am on a rare trip to my office for essential work, good job too as I only just got the car started today after 12 days of inactivity :-o )

HardenClimber 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

yep.

theodd thing is that Screwfix & B&Q have the sames owners (and share some products).

Removed User 22 Apr 2020
In reply to HardenClimber:

> yep.

> theodd thing is that Screwfix & B&Q have the sames owners (and share some products).

A fourth shout for Screwfix.

Ordered some plumbing bits, received immediate acknowledgement and told the items were ready for collection, drove to depot, queued for five minutes, collected items.

flatlandrich 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

I agree with 'Gravy's' post above. B&Q's website is poor at the best of times but Wickes is working quite well. They're not doing their full range of products but I've been buying bits for work from them on a 'click and collect' basis and there's nothing I haven't been able to get. Order in the morning and pick up in the afternoon once notified it's ready. Not sure what their delivery is like though.

gravy 22 Apr 2020

Screwfix works but you can't get timber there or many other building staples

Mr Fuller 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Screwfix and Toolstation have both been perfect for me recently.

When I got on the B&Q site last week I placed an order and was told I could collect it a week later. On the day of collection I received an email that everything I ordered was now out of stock and I'd be getting a refund.

Dave Garnett 22 Apr 2020
In reply to gravy:

> Screwfix works but you can't get timber there or many other building staples

No, but it's excellent if you want a box of screws for fixing something, which is exactly what I did want!

Post edited at 15:53
 Pefa 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

Toolstation is also swift and problem free click and collect. 

jasonC abroad 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Oceanrower:

I've had this happen, are not always clear whether something can be collected or can only be delivered, so you suddenly find yourself stung with a delivery charge.

The queue things works quite well, I was on the Wickes site before they introduced it and they were getting so many visitors that trying to actually pay caused the server to time out (numerous times) as they couldn't deal with the amount of customers.

andrew breckill 22 Apr 2020
In reply to jasonC abroad:

what are people buying? it's obviously a perfect time to do various jobs around the house but the powers that be say forbidden! I want some sand and cement, as i need to replace a line of fence, apparently that is allowed. I just can't be arsed to wait for the website to allow me to order.

TCP 22 Apr 2020
In reply to john arran:

I have an online business and carry a banner on every page to infrom people of the rough delivery time. It made naff all difference there is a massive buying frenzy for anything home/garden at present. Its driven by a warm spring and working from home etc. People just buy anyway so we just pulled a tonne of stuff out of stock so it could not be bought. Some people reacted by shutting their website to get on top of the back log.

The other factor is the couriers - 4 times the volume 30% less staff. One depot said a chap turned up to work 10,000 parcels to go out only one person there.....all the rest stayed home.

I can understand what they have done - allows some orders through so pickers and packers are not overwhelmed and the couriers have a chance. Other ways of doing it though - common sense of adhering to a message about deliveries seems not work. People often do not read the instructions or info related to actual product purchases so hoping a banner works only applies to some people. 

I went for 'not in stock' -so end of issue. Trying to file back orders in the tens of thousands would be a total nighmare. If its a surge you might get on top if it - if keeps going you go into meltdown.

TCP 22 Apr 2020
In reply to andrew breckill:

They are buying anything to get on with jobs around the house. We sell stuff for cleaning and sealing stone etc. Its nuts most of our stuff is overnight but we sent one on the 6th of April and had written it off - appeared on the 20th!! Not sure how long the courier companies can sustain the level of traffic on reduced staff - they will be hoping for it to end and get back to normal. They cannot upscale staff to deal with it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...