UKC

May:Change in weather, change in mood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 25 Apr 2020

Every year for the last four or five years, the weather has been really good in April. Then May, which used to be the better month, has become colder and wetter than previously.

I predict that the same will happen this year, but this year, it will coincide with the breaking of the wave of voices baying, to be at least partially released, from the current restrictions. 

If you think that you are going stir crazy now, try it when we have had two more weeks of much less freedom, but with much of that time showing stair rods of rain through the window portal to the outside world.

Secondly, if something of change holds with such as social distancing and hand-washing, into the Autumn: Then the latter is going to be far more trouble then, as we all start to develop debilitating cracks in our finger ends, and on knuckles etc.

A cheerful thought eh?

girlymonkey 26 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

It's ok, the Daily Express has an article about how we are about to have weeks and weeks of rain, so I predict a heatwave! Enjoy! 😊

Neil Williams 26 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

Surely it's the good weather that's more of an issue there?  Most people don't want to go outdoors if it's freezing cold and tipping it down.

Andypeak 26 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

Last 2 years I've spent backpacking around Scotland in May and I didn't have to put my rain coat on once, both months have been beautiful. 

Sam Beaton 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Home schooling has been bearable knowing that I can also take the little darlings to the park every day to let them knock seven bells out of each other and get rid of that stress where there's plenty of space.

I say little darlings, but one of them is now my height, and my front room isn't big enough for all 3 of us to do star jumps and press ups at the same time. Both of them react to rain falling from the sky as if it was concentrated hydrochloric acid.

So I'm praying that this good weather continues thank you very much!

tingle 26 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

Learn to love the suffering of rain and nothings off the table. (Apart from actual climbing)

OP veteye 26 Apr 2020
In reply to tingle:

I'm fine with the rain. When we were at junior school, you were a wimp if you didn't play football in the siling down rain, and wore your soaked clothes in the classroom, like a badge of honour.

When I go Munro-bashing, I would rather go up a few peaks, in the inclement weather, than stay in the pub or the car, as the latter frustrates me: I feel like I have wasted the time.

I was referring to all the people who are already complaining about being tied-down by the restrictions.

What about the idea of still washing hands every 5 minutes in colder weather in November/December/January, and the ensuing skin cracks.? I suppose this is less of a problem if you're at home, but at work, I wash my hands 30+times per day.

Rog Wilko 26 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

We've barely seen a cloud here in S Lakes for a month or more which seems like a terrible waste of good weather. The crags will be drier than in living memory and at this season it's unlikely to be too hot even on  South facing crags. BUT throughout this crisis we've been living in the garden and going for walks or rides (the latter on almost empty roads) whenever the fancy takes us. If tempted to grumble I just ask myself - how we would be feeling if this had all happened in February? So, as you suggest, this is perhaps the equivalent of the Phoney War and as normal weather is restored things could get a lot worse. 

BTW, I am very aware that we are very well placed compared with many people, except that our age puts us in the vulnerable zone.😞

Tom Valentine 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

The ground is tinder dry at the moment . We will be heading for closure of the moors because of the fire risk soon. It needs to rain for a fortnight, starting now.

Sam Beaton 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

There's already been a big fire somewhere near the Chew unfortunately

Sam Beaton 26 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

3 of my team at work are hand washing and sanitizing like mad at the moment because of the work they do. I'm going to ask the question next week at work about supplying hand cream to these 3, not sure if that will receive a favourable response from management

Martin Wing 26 Apr 2020
In reply to tingle:

I’m actually looking forward to the rain. The local woods will be quiet again for runs with the dogs.

Flinticus 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Martin Wing:

> I’m actually looking forward to the rain. The local woods will be quiet again for runs with the dogs.

Me too without the running. I spent every day of a very wet Jan and Feb walking ny dog in a near empty park. Now I must dodge families in even the normally seldom tramped areas and watch she doesn't get hit by fast moving mountain bikes.

marsbar 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

When  I worked in a food factory many many years ago moisturising cream was provided by every sink as standard.  If you mention in your emaiI its a H and S issue.  Cracked skin is damaged skin.  It's not worth the risk to not provide it. Cream is cheap and breached H and S is expensive.  

Post edited at 12:48
 marsbar 26 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

At present I'm wasting good weather indoors watching tv and reading. Rain is perfect for sitting indoors watching tv and reading.  I think hot weather makes people want to go out. 

Sam Beaton 26 Apr 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Thank you, I will frame the question in that way. Although when my predecessor asked for these colleagues to be supplied with suncream, the answer was that they should be ok doing manual labour outside in the hot sun in long sleeves and trousers 🙄

marsbar 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Sounds charming 

Can you access petty cash for small amounts?  

Post edited at 14:55
 Sam Beaton 27 Apr 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Unfortunately not

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...