UKC

another blow for Victorian (oz) climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 racodemisa 14 Aug 2020

taipan wall and bundaleer added to banned crags.

2 of the best crags in Australia the former being one of the best crags on the planet..have been added to the growing list of banned crags in the Grampians.

GravitySucks 14 Aug 2020
In reply to racodemisa:

Taipan wall !  It would be a real tragedy if this is banned ;-(

OP racodemisa 15 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

£150000 fine($,300000) if caught climbing there.

Monkeydoo 15 Aug 2020
In reply to racodemisa:

How sad this world has become

Darron 15 Aug 2020
In reply to racodemisa:

Our late, lamented, UKC friend and ‘punk’ must be rolling in his.

Rog Wilko 15 Aug 2020
 Tobes 15 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Grim news. 

unless you have heritage/cultural links to the areas which is part of the reason for the ban/restrictions I believe? -they might see things differently I guess...

Ollie Keynes 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Tobes:

This x But colonialists think differently

Rog Wilko 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Tobes:

I am told that the land on which MCG stands is claimed to be of aboriginal cultural significance. 

I also understand that some of the sites involved are merely places where long ago stone was quarried. I think it would be a travesty if access to Mt Arapiles were to be denied for such a reason.

OP racodemisa 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Tobes:

For years local climbers have been self managing a priceless resource very responsibly ...in a national park...a true wilderness.I remain suspicious of the authorities  motives though i do accept the land ownership issues.

Martin Wood 16 Aug 2020
In reply to racodemisa:

Devastating news. Both crags are brilliant. Neither deserve to be banned, especially now final approval for the environmental disaster that is the Adani coal mine in Queensland has been given:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48618774

The mine site covers an area of  around 450 square kilometres - that's larger than Sheffield!  

Evergreen Glenn Tempest https://www.facebook.com/glenn.tempest was running a petition last year when the first Grampians' bans were introduced. The Australian Climbers Association Victoria (ACAV) would probably appreciate our support again now. 

Rog Wilko 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Ollie Keynes:

> This x But colonialists think differently

Is this some kind of veiled criticism?

climbercool 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Tobes:

> unless you have heritage/cultural links to the areas which is part of the reason for the ban/restrictions I believe? -they might see things differently I guess...

How many people have heritage/cultrual links to a piece of rock that was once once quarred from Taiapn wall, how many of these people would actually care if people go climbing near the place where the rock was once quarried.  I have only done a little online reading on the subject and have only visited the place once, but i bet you could find 100 or more people who are negatively impacted by this ban for every indigenous person who supports it and really wants climbers to be banned from Taipan wall.

Removed User 16 Aug 2020
In reply to climbercool:

> I have only done a little online reading on the subject and have only visited the place once

So we can ignore you

>, but i bet you could find 100 or more people who are negatively impacted by this ban

in that they have to play their sport somewhere else

> for every indigenous person who supports it and really wants climbers to be banned from Taipan wall.

Because the people who are the original custodians of it feel strongly that it shouldn't be climbed on.

Get a grip

Martin Wood 17 Aug 2020
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

IF the traditional owners - clans from the Jadawadjali language group - have nominated the two areas as places of Aboriginal significance and support the ban - which is temporary - then it must be respected.  From the original post it is not clear whether they have/do, or if this is Parks Victoria's usual knee-jerk heavy handedness.

The Jadawadjali peoples own most of the Winmera, which includes the Grampians and Mt Arapiles, Arapiles also has dozens of art and cultural sites, dating back thousands of years, but climbers and the traditional owners have managed to work together to protect the landmark.  I hope the same can be achieved for Bundaleer and Tiapan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...