UKC

Help: approach shoes for wide forefoot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tagscuderia 15 Aug 2020

I know that this gets asked cyclicly but... over lockdown I've bought and returned 5 pairs of approach shoes after the soles on my 5.10 Guide Tennies split/wore out and I'm at my wits' end:

• Scarpa Mescalito Mid GTX, EU46 − too small,
  • La Sportiva TX Top, EU47 − felt great until the super-gaiter was zipped up, then exerted pressure on the first MP joint (became very painful after 5 minutes),
  • Scarpa Mescalito, EU47 − fit was good but too long; front of the shoe extended too far beyond my big toe, felt weird walking so climbing/scrambling would be a nervy affair,
  • La Sportiva TX Guide, EU47 − close to perfect but the pointed toe box became uncomfortable after 10 minutes (squeezing the forefoot). Available in a 47.5 but concerned that they would then be too long a la the Mescalito,
  • La Sportiva TX5, EU47 − low profile midfoot design applied pressure to both sides of foot; persisted even with the laces removed, and the full rubber rand wouldn't 'break-in.' Wasn't what I'd call a comfortable shoe, even ignoring the midfoot pain.

And so it would seem that my feet are not Italian!!

I used to wear Mammut* boots in a UK11.5, but switched to Scarpa Rebels (EU47) and am currently in Scarpa Rebel Lites (EU47), no problems with any. My Guide Tennies are UK11 and fit perfectly; V12 Outdoor still stock the 5.10s but they're useless off trail/rock so was hoping for something a bit more adept on grass and mud.

*Mammut now do a Kento approach shoe but I tried their original Kento boot and found that they pressed on the first MP joint just like the TX Top.

I was in Snowdonia at the weekend and ventured into Joe Brown in Capel but they didn't have anything that I hadn't already tried. The guy in the shop seemed totally disinterested too... no help at all. I'm wary of adding a sixth to my purchase online and pay for return postage pattern, it's cost me £25 already with nothing to show for it

So I was hoping that somebody may be able to suggest something; my forefoot is wide but it's only now a problem. I was wondering about Hanwag and Salewa but they're not available to try anywhere and a tad more expensive compared to Scarpa and La Sportiva.

Sincerely Shoeless, cheers.

OP tagscuderia 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

My purchase list probably points to what I'm looking for, but a typical day in Snowdonia is 10 miles walking with solo grade 3 scrambling thrown in; I'm not interested in GORE-TEX, I'd rather avoid it to be honest. The Mescalito looked perfect before they ditched the NAG last.

Thanks to anybody that can make a suggestion (shy of a foot transplant... because I can't afford one).

GrahamD 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

An obvious suggestion is try before you buy 🙂

More seriously,  I too have wide forefeet  and I find Merrel shoes are the only thing I can find to fit properly. The model name has worn off my current pair - maybe Moab ?  They are Goretex which I was initially sceptical about, but I really like it now.  Very useful for avoiding wet socks on the campsite.

Kahti 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

I had Scarpa Crux's before I got Tennies (pre-Addidas ones) and the fit was very similar i.e. perfect for my wide flippers, but so was the traction on wetter ground, so probably not what you're after. Maybe check out the Zodiac? Not tried on but a mate has a pair and they look reasonably wide, and with bigger lugs than a tennie/crux.

Jamie Wakeham 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

Sounds like we have very similar feet; Tennies fit me really well and so do Rebels!  I can't get La Sportivas to work at all, and generally my footwear shopping starts and finishes with Scarpa and 5.10 because they work for me.

I do use Merrell but, whilst they're really comfortable, they're just a bit too flexible for more technical approach and scrambling.  

Try the Scarpa Zodiac.  I have the older version and they fit well.  They're a little stiffer than I'd prefer - I get a bit of heel lift - but they're the best thing I've found so far to fit the space between the Tennies and the Rebels.  I do mean to have a play with the Zen some time too.

Jon Greengrass 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

have you tried any barefoot type shoes?  they are made on a last with a much wider forefoot.

Xeroshoes, Joe Nimble and Vivobarefoot all do shoes with an off-road tread.

1philjones1 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

I feel your pain! Crib goch outdoor In Llanberis have a good selection of Salewa. I’ve recently been in and tried the Mountain trainer range, they had 3 different versions, unfortunately not for me.
They also have Altra’s- zero drop and exceptionally wide forefoot. Well worth trying the Lone Peak, more of a long distance walking trainer type or the Grafton which is a bit more approach shoe. It takes some time to get used to zero drop- lots of muscle ache for me and not there yet after several weeks but the forefoot width will be worth it.

spenser 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

My feet are shorter than yours but have a wide forefoot, high instep, narrow heel.

I wound up with a pair of Adidas Terrex Swift Trainers, really comfy. 

In reply to GrahamD:

> An obvious suggestion is try before you buy...

Absolutely, but a bit tricky during lockdown 😉

Having read time and time again that La Sportiva's TX range features a large volume toe box and wide forefoot design, I thought that I'd be fine − but the TX Top, Guide and TX5 all misfit differently, completely exasperating! Scarpa ditching the NAG last appears to be the death knell for me wearing their current range and that's all that the shops seem to stock; not that there are any outdoor shops anywhere near me. And driving 70 miles to Snowdonia to try on shoes just seems a little excessive 😋

Thanks for mentioning Merrell, they seem popular amongst us wider-footed folk; I'll check them out.

Post edited at 20:58
In reply to Kahti:

> I had Scarpa Crux's before I got Tennies (pre-Addidas ones) and the fit was very similar i.e. perfect for my wide flippers, but so was the traction on wetter ground, so probably not what you're after. Maybe check out the Zodiac? Not tried on but a mate has a pair and they look reasonably wide, and with bigger lugs than a tennie/crux.

A couple of suggestions for the Scarpa Crux now; I asked to try them on in Joe Brown (Capel) but they didn't have my size, predictably at this point! The 3rd iteration now uses Vibram's Mega-Grip compound, but the outsole design is unchanged... frankly if they fit, I'll be happy − I'd overlooked them because Outdoorgearlab said: "If you find other brands run too wide, these may be the best choice for long approaches." Bl**dy minefield! Cheers.

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> Sounds like we have very similar feet; Tennies fit me really well and so do Rebels!  I can't get La Sportivas to work at all, and generally my footwear shopping starts and finishes with Scarpa and 5.10 because they work for me.

I'm so sorry that you share my affliction 😋

> Try the Scarpa Zodiac.  I have the older version and they fit well.  They're a little stiffer than I'd prefer - I get a bit of heel lift - but they're the best thing I've found so far to fit the space between the Tennies and the Rebels.  I do mean to have a play with the Zen some time too.

So that's the Crux and the Zodiac on my list to try, seems that it's time to bite the bullet and go shopping in Llanberis! Thanks for the suggestion.

Post edited at 20:59
 kaiser 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

Five Ten Camp Four's  - the last model - have a wide forefoot.    Also nice deep lugs unlike G-Tennies

Not made any more but possible to source 2nd hand

Post edited at 20:58
In reply to 1philjones1:

Looking like a trip to Llanberis is required − it seems that you have to go to Snowdonia, the Lakes or the Highlands to find shops that carry the kit that you need to explore those places 😂

The Salewa Mountain Trainer 2 definitely appeals, and 2 versions are non-GTX. Thanks for letting me know about Crib Goch Outdoor, it'd be good to try them at least.

In reply to spenser:

Yup, my feet are the same, good to know that I'm not alone (I guess... 😅)! I'd looked at numerous Adidas shoes but was concerned about durability. Do you think that they'd hold up to getting bashed about scrambling on the Glyders?

spenser 15 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

Mine have happily done a 10 day touring trip on my mountain bike as well as another 10 days riding and daily bimbling about since I bought them. Only issue is a snapped lace which I replaced. 

JSTaylor 16 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

NAG EU47 fits me perfectly (two pairs of Rebel Ultras)I have just bought my second pair of TX4 Mids EU47.  Fantastic fit for my feet. Outside were doing a great deal on them recently.  Maybe work for you?

Post edited at 09:46
OP tagscuderia 16 Aug 2020
In reply to JSTaylor:

Yeah I thought that the TX range would be a shoe in (I'll see myself out) but having tried 3 variants... they're just too low a profile unfortunately. I've got my fingers crossed that the Scarpa Crux will fit, maybe I should cross my toes too? 🙂

nic dill 17 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

Keen ,make some good shaped shoes (nice and wide). Probably not the best tread for U.K. mud...

99ster 19 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

Another vote for Scarpa Crux and 5.10 Guide Tennies.

In reply to tagscuderia:

I feel your pain (literally)... As someone who has to review footwear I can count on the toes of one foot the boots, shoes and rock shoes (the latter being particularly troublesome) that have really properly fitted my wide-ish, square-ish forefoot.

One of those is Sportiva's TX4, which is quite simply the best and most comfy (for me) approach shoe I've worn. I can't personally vouch for the rest of the TX range, but the TX4 has quite a wide rounded front end, and I'd say the volume is fairly generous too. Could be worth a try before discounting all of the TX range?

I am currently reviewing Scarpa's Kalipe. I don't think it quite matches the TX4 for comfort, refinement or proper all-terrain sole, but it climbs well and would be a good choice if you're mostly out on dry rocky ground (less so wet grass). The front end fit works for me, not too radical or pointy. Definitely worth a look.

In general I've also got on well with Salewa's fit.

Hanwag do different width fittings, which is great, but overall I tend to find them narrow (despite the Germanic stereotype): I think their standard width would be called narrow by most folk, while their wide generally seems to be equivalent to a normal width in my experience. I think this is probably most the case with their more technical approach shoes and mountain boots, perhaps less of an issue in their more relaxed walking boots.

In reply to tagscuderia:

Meant to add - in case you've not seen it, we did a big group test of 10 different approach shoes this time last year, which might throw up some brands and models not yet discussed in the thread: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/approach_shoes/approach_shoes-1158...

ianstevens 20 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

I had a pair of the Terrex a few years back, lasted well (far better than I've ever seen a pair of TX4s last, for comparision...) and where great for general approaching and a bit of climbing. Even managed an "E1" in them once...

ed.secretan 20 Aug 2020
In reply to tagscuderia:

I have the same problem. I've no idea what boots are best but will share my most recent boot finding experience in case it adds anything.

European boots seem made for long narrow feet whereas some US makes seem to go wider. But here in France I don't find too many US makes and you can't go buying boots on the web without trying them.

I found that pain at the front of the foot was partly alleviated by a custom foot bed. This was because  the pain I experienced was not just due to tightness of the boot (though it felt like it) but also because the ball of my wide foot was indeed curved and not flat so concentrating the pressure onto a much smaller point over the flat standard boot inner. A similarly curved foot bed spreads the pressure much better and made a world of difference (a lesson I first learnt with ski boots).

Finally I got some Salewa which are not particularly wide but have the advantage of the laces going right down to the front of the boot so with loose laces the part around the 'knuckles' can expand. I now wear them with the laces only starting at the top of the foot to hold the heel in place. The front of the foot is unlaced so not squeezed. It's working for me but I get some funny looks.

Good luck with your search.

OP tagscuderia 24 Aug 2020
In reply to 99ster:

"Another vote for Scarpa Crux and 5.10 Guide Tennies," that is music to my ears, thank you! The Guide Tennies, whilst not plush, were such a good fit − I feel optimistic enough to just buy some from V12 Outdoor (online)... eek 🙂

Post edited at 03:40
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I definitely wouldn't be a good candidate for mountain footwear reviewer! If your forefoot is square-ish, then it appears that mine are cube-ish 😂 ; I've since been able to try the TX4 and they're simply too low profile, definitely wide enough but... I'm suddenly feeling very self-conscious over my feet! They're not even that big, hrmph.

The Kalipe reminds me of the Guide Tennies, but I was hoping for better security when not on rock. Beggars can't be choosers at this stage though, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks regards Hanwag, one to stop obsessing over. The Salewa Mountain Trainer definitely appeals, and it was kindly pointed out that Crib Goch Outdoor stock them so... Llanberis has all of the answers it seems.

P.S. I have read the group test, thanks for the resource!

In reply to ed.secretan:

Thanks I've come to realise the same regards lasts, it's just a shame that Scarpa ditched the NAG, the Mescalito are a very weird shape at the toe IMHO.

I've got Sidas and Sole footbeds, but I find that they raise my heel out of the heel cup and then depending upon the boot/shoe... rips a hole in my heel! No blister, just a hole 😂 . And I haven't gone as far as yourself but I leave the lower lace loops completely slack, definitely helps.

Cheers,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...