UKC

MSR Whisperlite trouble shooting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Christinevnj 15 Aug 2020

I tried my MSR whisperlite for the first time today with petrol. After priming it wouldn’t switch to a blue flame. Now the whole unit is covered in a later of black soot. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it functioning & cleaned. Thanks v novice 🙄

ebdon 15 Aug 2020
In reply to Christinevnj:

Sounds like its blocked, have you tried turning upside down and giving it a good shake? Whisperlights have a clever self cleaning mechanism than involves shaking. Otherwise give it a poke with the cleaning tool it should come with.

Whisperlights, when they work, should burn any old shite. Allthough mine only now runs on Coleman fuel. Probably because I spent years burning any old shite.

grump gnome 15 Aug 2020

Make sure you have the correct jet. It should have G stamped in it. If it has K stamped in it, it's the parafin jet. Also make sure that the round fins are inline. The soot will burn off when the stove is running blue.

JimbotheScot 15 Aug 2020

Loads of soot when priming especially when using unleaded due to all of the additives, I use aspen or Stihl motomix alcalyte fuel in mine and burns much much cleaner, can get it from lawnmower shops etc , more expensive than petrol but worth it for the cleaner burn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...