UKC

Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 tent for spares

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VinnyW 31 Aug 2020

I've got a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 tent here that is about 15 years old.

It has not been used for a while and when I pulled it out recently the fly is leaking like a sieve, I've tried to get someone to retape the fly but I'm being told not to waste my time / money as the fly is probably shot to pieces anyway.

So the inner tent is still in good shape, the poles all in tact so wondered if anyone needed any of the good bits. There is also a footprint.

There is a faint whiff of a cow filled meadow about it but as it was an expensive piece of kit so thought someone might want the spares.

I'm based in Bristol but could maybe post.

In reply to VinnyW:

I've got the same tent (still going strong after about 20 years) - I just resealed all the seams (took a while*) with seam grip which were flaking and reproofed it and it's fine again. I wouldn't give up on it without trying a bit maintenance first - just do a small section and test it.

If you really can't be bothered I wouldn't mind the poles but would prefer the rest to not go to waste if it is salvageable!

* put the tent up then the fly on upside down, then paint the seams - need a few tubes of seam grip to do it all.

OP VinnyW 31 Aug 2020
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Hi

Thanks but I have tried that, plastered 4 tubes of the stuff over the whole fly! After pitching the next time it rained the inside was still soaking (not condensation) and water was running down all over the inner tent so would not want to rely on it!!

Welcome to the poles if you want them (they are the black, purple and gold ones - I'm sure they will be the same given the age of the tent.)

Are you anywhere near Bristol?

In reply to VinnyW:

Fair enough!

Just dug it out the cupboard and the poles are black, red and silver - perhaps an earlier model?

Let's see if anyone else has the same - if not and I'm saving them from landfill I'll take a punt!

London-based but have friends in Bristol who could hold on to them or happy to pay postage.

OP VinnyW 31 Aug 2020
In reply to featuresforfeet:

OK, As you say I hope someone will get some use out of the good bits I'e been resisting throwing it away for weeks now.

The 2 purple poles are straight and 380cm long

The 2 black poles are 386cm long and have a short flat kink in the middle.

The gold one is the arch over the door and is 182cm long

In reply to VinnyW:

A little odd - purple = red, black = silver but my door one is 310cm.

So 4/5 are probably usable. If no-one else is interested I'm happy to pay for postage - give it a couple of days?

In reply to VinnyW:

When my then 15 years old Ultra Quasar began to leak, I applied silicone along all seams which helped a lot. But the following year it leaked again. I then sprayed silicone all over the fly, and doing this every year extended the life with 5 more years. I retired my tent last summer, as by then one of the poles broke again and the fly was beyond thin and beyond further repairs. R.I.P. 

OP VinnyW 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

RIP indeed Stefan. Sounds sad but its easy to get attached to a tent and the memories of the trips. I think the fly is at the end of its life and I don't want to rely on it any longer, I've bought a new tent now which will hopefully last another 15 years so I cant complain really. I think once the fly starts to deteriorate you are fighting a losing battle. 

Hopefully i will find someone with a damaged inner tent who can give their tent a new lease of life!

Tigger 01 Sep 2020
In reply to VinnyW:

Hi, just wondering , which version of the tent is this? Does the porch just have one 'door' or two?

andrewm1000 01 Sep 2020
In reply to VinnyW: i’ll take it if still available. Bristol-based so can get someone to pick it up. Still available? Regards Andrew

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...