UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 13 Nov 2020
Alpha SV 3x2

The updated Alpha SV: strong gets stronger. In 1998, when Arc'teryx stepped into outerwear with the Alpha SV Jacket, it transformed the outdoor industry.

Read more
 leon 1 13 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear: Lovely jacket but £680 ? Really ?

GrahamD 13 Nov 2020
In reply to leon 1:

> Lovely jacket but £680 ? Really ?

Presumably that's how it transformed the industry ?

HeMa 13 Nov 2020
In reply to leon 1:

The RSRP of Top of the line Mammut, TNF and even Jöttnar are also in the 600+ range. 

not that many are willing to pay full retail.

Misha 13 Nov 2020
In reply to leon 1:

This is why I think Mountain Equipment gear is great. (Almost?) the same quality for pretty much half the price.

Removed User 13 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

On quality, yes, Arc'teryx  justifies high prices, but for innovation they've been caught up with and surpassed. Good old reliable, general designs they do well, but TNF, OR and a few others are the ones finding new ideas to advance with, perhaps because they cover stuff like expedition and high altitude climbing more. I personally have never seen Arc'teryx as climbing-specific, more adapted ski gear.

I also recall spending $300 on a MHW jacket 15 years ago and being stunned I just had, so for sure Arc'teryx has changed the market a lot.

wbo2 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout: Not seeing Arcteryx as climbing specific is, to be fair, a minority position I'd guess.  TNF mess around with homemade fabrics a bit too much.

300 15 years ago is going to be 465 today before taking currency effects into account so getting there

TobyA 14 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

>  Good old reliable, general designs they do well, but TNF, OR and a few others are the ones finding new ideas to advance with,

Hmmm... I reviewed an Arcteryx jacket (Alpha AR) and a TNF one (Summit L5) last winter for the winter shell group test, and the Arcteryx one is much the better jacket I reckon, both in terms of the material, cut and the design. https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/waterproofs/bombproof_winter_mount...

In reply to leon 1:

For £680 you could make a seam sealed jacket out of £10 notes. The new waterproof ones would be quite good I reckon

Removed User 14 Nov 2020
In reply to wbo2:

> Not seeing Arcteryx as climbing specific is, to be fair, a minority position I'd guess.  TNF mess around with homemade fabrics a bit too much.

> 300 15 years ago is going to be 465 today before taking currency effects into account so getting there

It's generic climbing gear for sure; shells and insulation, but rather than delve into all the specific forms of climbing like high altitude, even specific ice and big wall like OR, TNF etc do, they have settled on a solid core of classics. No complaints, just they they don't concern themselves with a broader spectrum of ideas.

Agreed that TNF are fickle with fabrics, but then they are not slaves to Polartec and Gore either. Sure, the experimentation goes a kilter at times, but they also get some stuff right. That said Arc'teryx do a lot of brand-only stuff with Polartec etc, variants not available to other companies.

That $300 jacket was still the best I've ever owned and years ahead of it's time. The only jacket I've actually worn out due to it having a wide capability from winter climbing and big peaks to trail running. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...