UKC

Are they all becoming designer items

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTanton 25 Nov 2020

Hi,

Ive been looking for a lightweight insulated jacket that will pack as small as possible so I can carry it on my harness. I used to have a Rab Generator hoodie that was ideal, till I dropped it in the sea. 
All the replacement ones I’ve looked at have under helmet hoods.  Like you take your helmet off to pull your hood up. Not gonna happen on a hanging belay is it?  Maybe they are all fashion wear these days. 

ive got an alpkit downy with a hood that does go over a helmet but it’s a bit too bulky. Need something more skinny. 
any ideas?

ta

Post edited at 15:11
In reply to PaulTanton:

I've got a decathlon spesh a couple of years ago, 30 quid, hood goes over my helmet. Has had a number of outings and been stuffed in bags but seems to be holding up well. I had to cut a bit of loose string off the cuff but apart from that no issues.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-men/c1-clothing/c3-down-and-padded-ja...

Looks like the one I got is now 40 quid.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trek500-men-s-mountain-trekking-down-jacket/_...

Martin Bennett 25 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

What about Montane Prism. Haven't worn mine for a long time so without digging it out of the wardrobe I can't be sure but I think it has an over helmet hood, does it not? I'm a Generator fan too though mine didn't have a hood. The Prism was to replace it really but rarely been worn.

Come to think of it if you fancy a Prism and your a medium I could sell it to you?( As I tried to do to another poster last week).

OP PaulTanton 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Martin Bennett:

thanks Martin. I’m a large. The hood is essential. Amazing how much warmer you feel with a hood up.

I did a route on the Thumb in Morocco. North facing. We took just my jacket between us for belaying.  Both realised how useful the hood was. It was a cold windy day. 
we didn’t get benighted, but it was close

ianstevens 25 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

Where are you looking? A quick look on some outdoor shop websites gives pretty ubiquitous over-helmet hoods. 

John Kelly 25 Nov 2020
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

Plus 1 for decathlon

got the down version 290g 40 quid (crap if it rains) and the synthetic version 400g 30 quid IIRC great in wet. 

Hood - they go over an Elios helmet but it's close 

Thanks. I need to check these out

Kryank 25 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

hi,

I recently got a montane flux after recommendations on here, I absolutely love it and packs into its own pocket to fasten to your harness. 

Webster 25 Nov 2020

not helmet compatible hoods, unless you have a small head, but great jackets for the price all the same

In reply to Webster:

Fair enough. Mine goes over my helmet, I'm no pea head either!  

In reply to Kryank:

Thanks. I like Montane stuff. Will try one out. When we can go into a shop that is.

Kryank 25 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

I did size up from my usual medium to a large though, throw it on over all my layers for belaying, or lunch stops while hiking it’s been particularly useful over the last couple of weeks whilst out on the boggy moors near me, 

jkarran 25 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

> All the replacement ones I’ve looked at have under helmet hoods.  Like you take your helmet off to pull your hood up. Not gonna happen on a hanging belay is it?

Why not? It takes a few seconds, if you've belayed somewhere so exposed to fire that you can't risk lifting your lid for a moment to pull a hood up out you surely have bigger problems than getting cold ears.

jk

DaveHK 26 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> Why not? It takes a few seconds, if you've belayed somewhere so exposed to fire that you can't risk lifting your lid for a moment to pull a hood up out you surely have bigger problems than getting cold ears.

> jk

That was my thought too. If a jacket ticks all the other boxes I'd be fine with that.

99ster 26 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

Arcteryx Nuclei FL

OG 26 Nov 2020
In reply to 99ster:

Would second this - it has a nice big hood and folds up really small to clip on your harness. Expensive at RRP but from time to time appears on SportsPursuit...

olddirtydoggy 26 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

For light syth I'd go with the Montane Prism like many said, faily tough as long as you don't drag it over sharp rock. If it's a down jacket I'd go Mountain Hardwear Phantom but I wouldn't climb in that, too delicate.

Timmd 26 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> Why not? It takes a few seconds, if you've belayed somewhere so exposed to fire that you can't risk lifting your lid for a moment to pull a hood up out you surely have bigger problems than getting cold ears.

> jk

It increases the risk of dropping the helmet due to cold fingers/general human fallibility I dare say, if you need to take your helmet off to put your hood up. I can find that when I'm in a certain frame of mind outdoors where tiredness meets being cold, I welcome anything which lessens my own ability to muck things up. 

Gloves which clip together and can be attached to something else, jackets which don't require a helmet being removed, and things being larksfooted to rucksack straps and cords so they don't go astray, it's all helpful.  

Post edited at 19:34
 jay lafferty 26 Nov 2020
In reply to 99ster:

My new Nuclei FL arrived last week ..brilliant jacket.

OP PaulTanton 27 Nov 2020
In reply to jkarran:

> jk

10 pitch route, helmet has to come off 20 (ish) times. Mmmmmm

Post edited at 09:45
 peebles boy 27 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

Sport Pursuit member? Fjern Breen Insulated Jacket

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1091357 

Timmd 28 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton: It's extra time when the wind is blowing snow around and one wants to get things over with, 'Helmet on, helmet off, helmet on, helmet off, oh shit I've dropped it...now my glove's followed it because they're too think to work the clip with.'

One can picture the general cluster fuck.

Post edited at 20:35
 Will Hempstead 29 Nov 2020
In reply to PaulTanton:

The outdoor industry is absolutly saturated with 'outdoorsy' fashion shite but theres some great stuff out there. I got a mountain equipment mid layer similar to the current kenesis about 5 years ago and its probably my most worn item of clothing ever. Perfect as a summer rock belay jacket and winter climbing midlayer and for cycling and pretty much eveything. £100 odd quid but worth every penny. I feel like ME are a perfect balance of price and quality - with arcteryx you get amazing gear but its stupidly £££, ME is cheaper but pretty much as good.

In reply to PaulTanton:

Arcteryx Proton Lt goes over helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...