UKC

Advice: ME Kinesis v Montane Hydrogen Extreme

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AJK87 16 Dec 2020

I don't yet own one of these active insulation type jackets.

Think one would work quite well for me in winter though and cut down on a bit of faff if I can regulate temperature well for a prolonged time in one layer.

Have read up on both mentioned jackets.

Just would appreciate some comparisons if anyone has tried both.

I run pretty hot. Gut feeling is that the Montane one might be too warm and therefore less versatile. (Basing this on the weight)

Any info on pros and cons with both gratefully received.

WestslopeColo 17 Dec 2020
In reply to AJK87:

I have an slightly older Hydrogen Extreme Smock and the new Kinesis.  I got the Kinesis for just the reason you mentioned, the Hydrogen was a bit too warm for me.  Even with all the zips open I sweated too much for comfort on approaches.  I also found the arms to be a little short, but I have freakishly long arms, so that is mostly my fault.

The Kinesis fleece feels thinner and isn’t quite as lofty as the Alpha Direct.  For my purposes it is a little nice, not as sweaty.  The arms are a little longer and fit me a bit better.  The torso is also a little longer.

Little details:

The cuffs of the Hydrogen are a little bigger and fit over gloves a bit better, but the Kinesis cuff Velcro does’t flap as much.

Both hoods fit well over and under helmets.  The Hydrogen hood gives slightly better protection.

Over all I rate the Kinesis slightly better as the fit works better for me and it’s warmth is better suited to how warm I tend to run.  I would be really happy if it was offered in a smock.
I would suggest the Hydrogen for people who run colder and don’t have freakishly long arms.

hope that helps.

Run_Ross_Run 17 Dec 2020
In reply to AJK87:

Have the hydrogen extreme (previously had the original montane extreme smock) and its awesome. Was out the other morning in sub zero figures with merino wool base layer, apex mirco hoody (polartec alpha) and the extreme over the top. Able to vent for the up hills then for a breakfast stop just zipped all back up.

For me the extreme is my go to jacket if I'm on a decent walk. For more leisurely walks then standard primaloft is better.

OP AJK87 17 Dec 2020
In reply to AJK87:

Thanks for the replies, that helps a lot

shinenotburn 18 Dec 2020
In reply to AJK87:

I have the Montane and have tried on the Kinesis. The Montane is excellent and I used it all last winter and again this autumn with just a baselayer underneath. It's well made, the hood is superb and you can dump loads of heat. The Kinesis I tried wasn't as well made and the hood is not as well designed.

All that said I think the Kinesis would be more wearable throughout the year and if funds allowed I would have both.

Iain.

David Myatt 18 Dec 2020
In reply to AJK87:

Can’t comment about the Montane, sorry, but my wife and daughter both have a Kenesis and think its fab.

David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...