UKC

Beal Birdie, any good for group belays?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LewisFisher 26 Dec 2020

So the Beal Birdie, is it any good in a bellringing system or should I stick to the GriGri?

In theory they should be the same right? Looking to spend my xmas pennies on a new Birdie, but want to make sure it can do the jobs that I need it to do during my instructor sessions.

Has anyone used one during an instructor session in a bellring/group system, how did it hold up? Were there any weird quirks that made it different to a GriGri system?

Thanks in advance, Happy holidays all  

AndyRoss 26 Dec 2020
In reply to LewisFisher:

I've been wondering the same. In some ways it might be better because the rope is supposed to come straight out rather than over a friction plate. But I couldn't work out if you'd have enough friction with a bell ringing angle. If you do try it out could you let us know how you get on? 

wbo2 26 Dec 2020
In reply to LewisFisher: whats a bell ringing system? 

climber34neil 26 Dec 2020
In reply to LewisFisher:

No idea about bell ringing but I've been using the birdie since last summer and much prefer it to a grigri for everything, 

Stairclimber 26 Dec 2020
In reply to LewisFisher:

I have had a Birdie for a year or so and really like it but there are several little quirks that I would say do not recommend it for group/beginner sessions.

The rope can flip around while lowering and I have found that the best 'deadhand' position to prevent this is either really close to the device wearing gloves or by creating a pulley by using a carabiner below . both require some experience and indeed the former method actually teaches bad practice for people using other belay devices. It can be very slick and unforgiving. My wife hates it! 

I originally bought it to enable my wife to pay out slack without the snagging that sometimes occurs with a grigri, but she never uses it, although I do like to belay leaders with it.

It is to be fair a well made piece of kit and at least here in France slightly cheaper than a grigri but not for group use. (Indeed is a grigri?)

lithos 26 Dec 2020

by the way the pix is  from Cliff Lowther's Roxcool site  https://www.roxcool.co.uk/

Jamie Wakeham 26 Dec 2020
In reply to LewisFisher:

If you're bellringing with a group, I'd be tempted to keep it as simple as possible, and that's just an ATC or similar plate.

wbo2 27 Dec 2020
In reply to LewisFisher:  thanks, I've done this for belaying a speed climbing comp. We used a gri gri and it was ideal

AndyRoss 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

I wouldn't use a standard friction plate - the orientation means you get almost no braking from it. 

I had a go using a BD Pilot for bell ringing the other day - it was good on the way up but quite slick on the way down so make sure you're tailing. 

Jamie Wakeham 27 Dec 2020
In reply to AndyRoss:

Depends on the rope, and also the client weight needs to be taken into account.  With smaller children and fat (10-11mm) ropes with a reasonable amount of wear, an ATC is pretty much perfect.  I can see that with adults, or thinner/newer ropes, more friction will be needed.

OP LewisFisher 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Stairclimber:

Thanks for the advice! The bellringing system I am referring to would mean that I (the instructor) would be solely in control of the device and system during lowering, and so I don't think the lack of experience / bad practice would be too much of an issue for the group members.

The deadhand position however, is the worry I had with this piece of kit compared to the grigri, so thanks for the insight with that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...