UKC

Crampon recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jockodiounto 27 Dec 2020

Hi,

I have recently been gifted a pair of un-used blue Scarpa boots. After some investigation they have turned out to be rather old Scarpa Manta M4 techs. They are supremely comfortable but very heavy compared to my Scarpa Zodiac Techs. Are these Mantas any good and how do I go about proofing them as they have no membrane.

Also, I have been looking at Grivel G10 Newmatic crampons for my Zodiac Techs; would these also work with my freshky acquired Mantas?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

lithos 27 Dec 2020
In reply to jockodiounto:

Mantas (if they fit) are excellent winter walking boots, bit heavy by todays standards but will last ages.

Nixwax to proof (or grangers) 

yes they will be fine with the G10 newmatics 

edit: these guys agree : https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best-walks-in-the-new-forest/  

Post edited at 23:07
OP jockodiounto 27 Dec 2020
In reply to lithos:

That's brilliant - thanks for the advice. 

If we ever get out of lockdown, I will look forward to giving them a go.

Cheers

crayefish 28 Dec 2020

What do you plan on doing?  G12s are a bit more future proof (can do most things with them, within reason), but for winter walking/scrambling, then G10s will be easier with the shorter points.

Mantas are great boots. When I climbed Orion Direct, my mate I climbed it with was wearing a pair, fair from ideal though. 

Nikwax Wax for leather will help keep the water out, as will a pair of Gaiters. Alpkit Colca Gaiters are very good value. 

Crampons: G10s will work okay on both pairs of boots but Zodiacs aren’t really designed with crampons in mind. I would get a pair of Petzl Vasak which will take you from winter hill walking right up to to very hard mixed and ice climbs. The Vasaks are lighter, more versatile, and cheaper than the G12. 

Enjoy your first steps out in winter 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...