UKC

Duck/Rollnlock/ropeman/tract?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 23 Jun 2021

I was looking at a rope clamp which is probably going to get more use pruning trees than climbing. Ideally something lighter than a shunt, and not a prussik

Of the various rope clamps on the market are there any to look at or avoid? I was leaning towards the duck but haven't had a chance to fondle the alternatives. 

Thanks!

nikoid 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Reach>Talent:

The duck is fine but the body is made of steel so heavier than the shunt. And it is a single rope device, unlike the shunt.

RM199 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Reach>Talent:

There are actually two different devices called a duck. One is a rope access back up device a bit like a shunt and is heavier. The other is made by kong and is a super light rope clamp similar to a ropeman.

i really like the Kong duck as it doesn’t use teeth (like a ropeman 1 also) but works on smaller diameter rope than the mk1. Some people could therefore use them in a moving together situation to protect a second on a fixed belay (not endorsing this but it’s a useful technique). Also has the added advantage that it can be used to climb slings in extremis (again not advised )

OP Reach>Talent 24 Jun 2021
In reply to RM199:

Well, I decided to take a punt on the duck. In the end the main thing that swung the decision was that I like ducks, the ability to use it on slings was a secondary consideration. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...