UKC

Best access for GO Wall Wintours Leap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philhilo 30 Jun 2021

Plan to do Burning Giraffe via Karma Sutra at Wintours Leap and can't quite figure out the best way to access the start despite reading the RAD notes. I know I could park at Lancaut Lane and walk along - and if that's it then so be it. However is there a parking and access option through Woodcroft Quarry?

Dave Ing 30 Jun 2021
In reply to philhilo:

It's been a few years since I was there, but you could park on street near the pub as long as you were careful, considerate, and didn't jeopardise access arrangements by annoying locals/landowners by being part of "climbers taking up all the parking" or similar. E.g. don't gear up at the car! Hence RAD request to park at the other end. 

Might have to climb over or walk around the gate, but if you're getting on GO wall you should be up to it! 

nikoid 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Ing:

> Might have to climb over or walk around the gate, but if you're getting on GO wall you should be up to it! 

Or look up the combination for the lock on the RAD. 

Personally I think parking at Lancaut is the responsible thing to do if we are trying to minimise impact on the locals. It's an easy ten minutes walk back to Fly Wall/Woodcraft quarry along the road and Offa's Dyke path.

danieleaston 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Ing:

There is a code for the gate down through the quarry, should be on the RAD, and that is your best way down to go wall. Parking all along the road, but don't park on the pavement or block driveways. Outside the Rising Sun is the best spot. 

OP philhilo 30 Jun 2021
In reply to philhilo:

Thank you folks, just what I needed.

Dave Ing 30 Jun 2021
In reply to nikoid:

> Personally I think parking at Lancaut is the responsible thing to do if we are trying to minimise impact on the locals.

Me too. I'm going on Sunday for the first time in a few years. Will be parking there. Plus the walk-in from there sounds like it'll be a great build up! 

OP philhilo 01 Jul 2021
In reply to philhilo:

Parked at Lancaut and the walk in was nothing tbh. Alas the seagull chicks on the route were more of a thing so had to bail from Burning Giraffe and go do a repeat after many decades of King Kong.

Dave Cundy 04 Jul 2021
In reply to philhilo:

Yes, seagull nests along there tend to be an issue at this time of year.  If you go back to do the Burning Giraffe, can I recommend my variation, which is rather better?

It's called the Surreal Burning Kangaroo (HVS 5a) ***

P1) Start up the last pitch of Surrealist and traverse the halfway ledge left to belay on the arete.

P2) Continue leftwards along the Burning Giraffe traverse to the chimney stance.

P3)  Continue up the last pitch of KW.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...