UKC

Peaks outdoor bouldering - any recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SeaMilner 13 Jul 2021

A friend and I are going to the Peaks this weekend for a day of bouldering, he lives in Manchester and I'm from Nottingham. We've hit up most of the popular areas (Stanage, Burbage, Curbar, Roaches, Cratcliffe) and we're looking for somewhere else.

I've got the Peak Bouldering book, and there's plenty around to choose from of course, but just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? We're not the strongest outdoor climbers - typically anything up to V3/4 outdoors - so anything with plenty of beginner routes would be grand.

Thanks in advance!

Offwidth 13 Jul 2021
In reply to SeaMilner:

Over Owler Tor is great. Also Birchen three ships (on top) and Froggatt (edge and on top). For a change of rock type try Harborough.

mrphilipoldham 13 Jul 2021
In reply to SeaMilner:

Wimberry or Blackstone Edge. Maybe a bit of a further drive for you from Nottingham but the quality and relative tranquility will be worthwhile

Durkules 13 Jul 2021
In reply to SeaMilner:

Not quite in the Peak, but Churnet Valley.

Also Anston Stones Wood and Cademan Wood and Broad Hill are worth visiting from Nottingham (but a bit far from Manchester).

ebdon 13 Jul 2021
In reply to Durkules:

Be aware theres currently access issues at wrights rock in the churnet, and allthough I don't want to do caedman woods down, it's not like it pretends to be anything it's not, I certainly wouldn't travel far to sample its unique delights! 

Also looks very hot this weekend, grit will be hard work, I'd go limestone,either peak area or mag lime east of the M1 i.e. anston, pleasly etc (or churnet for somthing different)

This thread may be of interest 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/bouldering/any_recommended_peak_limestone...

Also someone had to say it - peak!!!!! 

Post edited at 15:29
In reply to ebdon:

It's worth noting that the guide is called Peak Bouldering not Peaks Bouldering which lends some credence to the distinction being made.

Al

deepsoup 13 Jul 2021
In reply to SeaMilner:

Another obvious contender that hasn't had a mention so far is the boulders at the top of Cratcliffe Tor, Robin Hood's Stride and the bits in the woods between the two.

ChrisBrooke 13 Jul 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

And given that this weekend is going to be extremely hot, that might be a good idea.

SDM 14 Jul 2021
In reply to ebdon:

> Be aware theres currently access issues at wrights rock in the churnet, and allthough I don't want to do caedman woods down, it's not like it pretends to be anything it's not, I certainly wouldn't travel far to sample its unique delights! 

Agreed, I would be rather disappointed if I traveled from Manchester to Cademan Woods!

It's worth a few trips for a local with an interest in lowball eliminates. But from Manchester, you would have to drive past all of the great climbing in the Peak to get there and you could also have driven to Yorkshire, North Wales or the lake District in less time than it takes to drive to Cademan.

Durkules 14 Jul 2021
In reply to SDM:

Haha, yes agreed... I suggested it as somewhere close to Nottingham the OP might not have tried (depending where in Notts you are, it's much quicker to get to than most of the Peak), but I wouldn't bother from Manchester.

OP SeaMilner 15 Jul 2021
In reply to ebdon:

Apologies - force of habit that no-one has actually corrected before, I will hereby use Peak. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...