UKC

Old Man of Stoer- Tyrolean currently in place? Tides also

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Smith 17 Jul 2021

Hi all,

We're staying up in Assynt for the next week and would love to climb the Old Man of Stoer. Has anyone done it recently? Is there gear in place for a Tyrolean traverse? I know in the past there has been.

Also, tide times. Anyone know the best website to check the local timings for tides?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Trangia 17 Jul 2021
In reply to Matt Smith:

https://tides.willyweather.co.uk/he/highland/old-man-of-stoer.html

As for whether there is a Tylolean in situ, I wouldn't bank on it. Even if there is one today, it could be gone by next week.  Best to go prepared to swim and set one up if necessary.

Good luck! It's a great expedition - one of the best outings I've had

OP Matt Smith 18 Jul 2021
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks, that was a site I'd found, but wasn't sure if it was trustworthy. 

Matt

veteye 18 Jul 2021
In reply to Trangia:

I'd agree: The Torridonian sandstone is great to climb on. 

One of the best climbs that I've done. 

Matt, take two 60m ropes for the abseil in one. Also, play your role of entertainment for the people on the hill/clifftop opposite.

planetmarshall 18 Jul 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> As for whether there is a Tylolean in situ, I wouldn't bank on it. Even if there is one today, it could be gone by next week. 

You also can't guarantee that any Tyrolean you do find wasn't put up by a party in front, and could well be gone by the time you finish climbing.

Be prepared for all eventualities!

OP Matt Smith 18 Jul 2021
In reply to planetmarshall:

As it was pants weather today we walked out and had a look. No tyrolean in place, but plenty of tat. Some quite new, excited to have a go this week.

iainJ 19 Jul 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...