UKC

Water temp in the lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 04 Aug 2021

So am in the lakes for a few days next week, haven't been for 15 yrs, excited but nervous it will be crowded!  Anyway, love swimming so how warm is the water in the big lakes and tarns?  I live in Cornwall and have been swimming in the sea the last few months and pools on the moors which I guess are all 15-17 degrees, lovely.

Will I need my wetsuit or just to zip up my man suite and pull up my big boy pants?

Cheers

Toby

Ram MkiV 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

This info is  ~10 days old but Derwent water, styhead tarn and sour milk Gill were all akin to warm baths then.  Derwent water you could stay in for hours with no wetsuit very comfortably. All will feel warmer than the Atlantic I reckon.

deacondeacon 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Ram MkiV:

Definitely. Swam up at Pavey Ark last week, and was lovely and warm. Significantly warmer than the sea and  decent wetsuit would have been uncomfortably warm.

RobAJones 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Wouldn't go as far as saying a warm bath but thirlmere was fine without a wetsuit, and quiet, although might be different at a weekend. A couple of weeks ago Goats water was a bit bracing, but the air temp. was about 28. There was also a noticeable drop in temperature away from the edge in deeper water. 

Post edited at 11:42
 plyometrics 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Assuming you’re not planning on swimming far, it’s more than warm enough to swim without wetsuit. Was 20 degrees in Windermere about 10 days ago, but the water has cooled down a bit since. 

Enjoy and stay safe!

OP Toby_W 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Lovely, thanks everyone, I'm soo excited!

Cheers

Toby

Slarti B 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Derwent water was fine on Sunday evening at 9.30 pm when we went swimming in lieu of a shower! 

Much warmer than Cornwall 6 weeks ago

Dark-Cloud 04 Aug 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Thirlmere will have been quiet, seeing as its a reservoir and you shouldn't really be swimming there...

https://www.unitedutilities.com/cumbria/our-plans/west-cumbria/thirlmere-re...

Post edited at 14:22
 RobAJones 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

But they do encourage kayaking/boating We were just messing about with rolling/rescue practice. Don't think this affects the water temperature but as the OP specifically mentioned swimming I probably should have pointed it out. 

Dark-Cloud 04 Aug 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

I have to admit i didn't realise you can canoe there either but seems you can, Haweswater and other reservoirs are normally strictly off limits for public access.

RobAJones 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

If you ask nicely at the office, someone from UU will open the metal  gate at Armboth, so you can launch a dingy. The water is a lot further away than it was in April, but still less hassle than most launching spots.

Edit. I don't usually pay attention, but want to say the dislikes aren't from me. 

Post edited at 16:33
 Mark Eddy 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

After climbing on Dow today we had a swim in Goats Water. It was quiet cool, and significantly colder than a couple of weeks ago. For more than a quick dip most would want a wetsuit. The lower lying lakes and tarns will still probably be fine.

Enjoy

OP Toby_W 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Indeed, grade A drinking water, you’re not even supposed to look at it with dirty thoughts 😀

Thanks again all!

Toby

Ridge 04 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Just back from a 30 min dip in Bassenthwaite Lake. Quite pleasant, could have happily stayed in longer (just wearing trunks and t-shirt).

steveriley 05 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

I’m a massive coward and had a few swims this week in Buttermere, Derwent Water and streams. Used my suit for a longer swim in Buttermere but that was first time out this year and feeling my way. Would have been ok without. Enjoy!

Dark-Cloud 05 Aug 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Yeah, im not really fussed about dislikes, i turned that feature off in the forums ages ago.

Quite why anybody would take the time to click a dislike button for a statement of fact is beyond me.

jdh90 05 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

I'm a huge cold water wuss but managed a few swims over the last few weeks. Levers water in the peak of the hot weather was like a bath, as was Easdale tarn. Grasmere lagging them by just a couple of degrees at the edge but still very enjoyable in just my shorts - girlfrind went right out to the island in her wetsuit.  Been cooler this week and due a storm tomorrow/weekend which might flush a bit of cooler water through.

Wainers44 05 Aug 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Same from me, slightly out of date as a week ago,  but....

Ullswater, warm bath.

Derwent Water, warmer still but really low so the beaches are shorter and the soft bits underfoot had to be squelchy through in places..

River at Grange, just right, refreshing!

River Esk at Doctor Bridge,  warmer than usual,  no icecream head.

Wastwater,  best of the lot,  warm top bit, cold dark lower bit (didn't try it all the way to the bottom).

Buttermere,  see Derwent Water, low, weedy and squelchy in places

Wet suits stayed dry all week!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...