UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Three new crags and two new areas for Rockfax Digital

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Aug 2021

This week we have a huge update for Rockfax Digital: three new Lakeland crags -  St. Bees Head, Kettle Crag and Lickle Crag. But that's not all... we have two major areas in France: Maurienne and Ailefroide and a full update for Independence Quarry in Clwyd Limestone.

Read more

tehmarks 12 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

I can't help but wonder what publishing guides for areas like Ailefroide will do for the viability of the local guidebook?

It makes me a bit sad to think that many people who go to Ailefroide will now just buy (or already have, thanks to their subscription) the Rockfax and not bother with the book written by the people who have and continue to develop the climbing there. Especially as they've gone to the effort of doing an English translation.

Obviously I can't really complain, I have a shelf full of Rockfax guidebooks and a subscription...

Sturmundrang 12 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

Lickle Crag should really be inspected... it's loose, dirty, seems unused and generally of poor quality!

Post edited at 12:02
In reply to Sturmundrang:

Lickle Crag has recently (2021) been fully developed and is a worthwhile spot in a great location. See the new FRCC book to the Duddon.

In reply to tehmarks:

> I can't help but wonder what publishing guides for areas like Ailefroide will do for the viability of the local guidebook?

Ailfroide is a busy and popular area with at least two local guidebooks that have gone through a few editions. I think that the addition of a digital version is likely to have very little impact. We have noticed very little impact on our own print sales where we have essentially directly competing content (although a lot of this has happened in Covid time which has produced some odd sales patterns for books).

Alan

Rob Kelly 13 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

My heartfelt apologies to the soul who was tasked with going to Independence Quarry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...