UKC

Connecticut, USA - Trad Climbing - Know anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abur94 30 Sep 2021

Hi folks,

A bit cheeky of me to have my first post as related to climbing outside the UK, but hoping for some help!

I'm travelling across to Connecticut for October/Early Nov. I've heard there's some fantastic trad climbing, but don't know anyone on the ground over there to link up with. 

Anyone on here have some contacts I could reach out to? 

Cheers! 

sparrigan 30 Sep 2021
In reply to abur94:

You can always try the partner-finder forums on mountain project. I think the northeastern states one might be the most appropriate:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/105987244/north-eastern-states-partne...

Post edited at 23:44
OP abur94 01 Oct 2021
In reply to sparrigan:

Thanks mate! Will give that a try. 

Alan Rubin 01 Oct 2021
In reply to abur94:

I live not too far away (western Mass.) and have climbed in Ct. frequently, though not sure of my availability in the near future (especially during the week) You can contact me at byastream@aol.com.

While there is climbing (almost invariably short) throughout Connecticut, the main areas are the 'traprock' (volcanic) crags in the central part of the state, a bit southeast of the capitol, Hartford. The cliffs range up to about 90', most shorter, but are quite vertical with numerous crack and corner systems and (small) hold -covered, but not very protectable, faces in-between. Ragged Mountain in Southington is the best-known and most popular cliff, while East Peak in Meridan and Pinnacle in Plainville are other nearby worthwhile destinations. These crags are located in very suburban neighborhoods, so parking is often an issue.

A bit further away, close to me, in western Mass. we have several good gneiss crags that offer a mix of sport and trad climbing. Just north the Ct./MA border in the western region, a portion of a 'new' crag called Hanging Mountain is opening to the public this weekend--also with a mix of sport or trad. I expect that weekend use will be at capacity, but should be less busy mid-week and it is worth a visit. It even has some 2 pitch routes, unusual in southern New England, though has numerous restrictions due to environmental and some rock quality issues in places.

Post edited at 20:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...